Segregated method for numerical solution of a PDE system

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a segregated method to solve a system of three coupled PDEs. The method involves solving the equations iteratively, but the issue is that changing the order of the steps can result in different results. The person seeks help in finding out what is wrong with their method, but the expert suggests using an exact method such as the TriDiagonal Matrix Algorithm or the conjugate gradient method. The person also mentions wanting to use the segregated method for memory storage purposes.
FrankST
All,

I have a system of three coupled PDE and I discretized the equations using finite difference method.

It results in a block matrix equations as:

[A11 A12 A13] [x1] = [f1]
[A21 A22 A23] [x2] = [f2]
[A31 A32 A33] [x3] = [f3]

where, any of Aij is a square matrix.

I use segregated method to solve the system of equations iteratively as:

0 - initial values: x2=0, x3=0

1 - A11 * x1 = f1 - A12 * x2 - A13 * x3

2- update x1

3- A22 * x2 = f2 - A21 * x1 - A23 * x3

4- update x2

5- A33 * x3 = f3 - A31 * x1 - A32 * x2

6- update x3 and repeat 1 to 6 until convergence.

The issue I encountered is that when I change the order of the steps above I will get different results. For example if I first assume x1=x2=0 and I start by solving

A33 * x3 = f3 - A31 * x1 - A32 * x2 and continue with the other unknowns, I will get completely different results.

I hope you can help me to find out what is wrong in my method.

Thanks

Frank

p.s. I posted this initially in the Linear Algebra section but I got no reply but too many views. So, I thought it might be well suited for Differential Equation section.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is absolutely no reason that this iterative method would converge, let alone to a right answer. My advise: don't solve coupled PDE's in a segregated manner.

If you really want to solve this iteratively, I suggest you use the steepest descent algorithm, or even better: the conjugate gradient method.
However, finite difference methods typically lead to (block)tridiagonal matrices. When this is the case, use an exact method like the (gasp!) TriDiagonal Matrix Algorithm (TDMA).

Most of these well-established algorithms can be programmed in 10 lines or so. The fact that you have 1 or 10 (coupled) PDE's to solve doesn't matter (except that the bandwidth increases).

Thanks bigfooted for your response.

The reason I want to solve it using segregated method is for memory storage issue. For example, in case of 10 coupled PDE I am dealing with 100,000 x 100,000 matrix and I need to save memory.

Thanks again for your attention.

What is a segregated method for numerical solution of a PDE system?

A segregated method is a numerical approach for solving a system of partial differential equations (PDEs), where the equations are solved one at a time in a specific order. This means that the solution for one equation is used as a known value for solving the next equation, and so on until all equations are solved.

Why is a segregated method used for numerical solution of a PDE system?

A segregated method is often used when solving complex PDE systems because it allows for the use of simpler and more efficient algorithms for each individual equation. This can improve the overall computational efficiency and reduce the complexity of the problem.

What is the difference between a segregated method and a coupled method for solving PDE systems?

In a segregated method, the equations are solved one at a time, with the solutions being used as known values for the remaining equations. In contrast, a coupled method solves all equations simultaneously, taking into account the interactions between them. Segregated methods are generally faster and more efficient, while coupled methods can provide more accurate solutions.

What are the limitations of using a segregated method for numerical solution of a PDE system?

Segregated methods can only be used for PDE systems that can be divided into individual equations and solved independently. They may also be less accurate than coupled methods, particularly for systems with strong interactions between equations. Additionally, the order in which the equations are solved can affect the overall accuracy of the solution.

Can a segregated method be used for all types of PDE systems?

No, segregated methods are most commonly used for elliptic and parabolic PDE systems, which do not have strong interactions between equations. They are not suitable for hyperbolic PDE systems, which require simultaneous solutions due to their strong coupling between equations.