How do I calculate the drag force on a motorboat accelerating from a dock?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the drag force exerted on a motorboat accelerating away from a dock. The propeller provides a thrust force of 3.9 kN and the boat has a mass of 940 kg with an acceleration of 2.2 m/s2. The conversation also mentions using Newton's Second Law and drawing a free body diagram to determine the net force acting on the boat. The final answer is 1.832 kN for the drag force.
Robertoalva
1. A 940 kg motorboat accelerates away from a dock at 2.2 m/s2. Its propeller provides a thrust force of 3.9 kN. What is the drag force exerted by the water on the boat?
2. I know that the force can be get by F= m a
3. My teacher told us to draw a free body diagram to get all the forces acting on the object, but I'm not so sure how to do the water one.

Physics news on Phys.org
You only have two forces to deal with, drag and thrust. There are only so many diagrams which can be drawn. Use the fact that drag acts to oppose motion and thrust acts to cause motion.

so, my thrust force would be equal to 3.9kN?

Robertoalva said:
so, my thrust force would be equal to 3.9kN?

Yes of course, it says so in the problem statement that you yourself posted.

Have you drawn the free body diagram yet? As others said above, it's simple. There are only two forces that act. There is nothing special or different about the drag force from the water. You just represent it on the diagram as force that opposes the motion. The thrust is in the direction of motion. Now you can apply Newton's Second Law.

do I have to get the Force of the boat? because in my homework the weight is marked in red and also the acceleration.

It's marked in red because you must calculate the net force acting on the boat (F=ma) which is (940*2.2=2068n)

Robertoalva said:
do I have to get the Force of the boat? because in my homework the weight is marked in red and also the acceleration.

Just worry about the horizontal forces. You have your free body diagram with the two forces, thrust and drag. You know Newton's second law, Fnet = ma. What is Fnet? I.e. what does it mean and how is it determined from the forces in your free body diagram?

thanks! it was 1.832kN

now that I look it, it was really easy. I should study more...

anyways thank you very much!

What is drag force?

Drag force is a type of force that acts on an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid and acts opposite to the direction of the object's motion.

How is drag force calculated?

Drag force is calculated using the formula Fd = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

What factors affect drag force?

The factors that affect drag force include the density and viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the object, the shape and size of the object, and the roughness of the surface of the object.

Why do objects experience drag force?

Objects experience drag force because they are moving through a fluid, which creates friction and resistance. This force is necessary for objects to slow down and eventually stop moving.

How can drag force be reduced?

Drag force can be reduced by changing the shape or size of the object to make it more streamlined, decreasing the velocity of the object, or using materials with lower drag coefficients. Other methods include using lubricants to reduce friction, or using airfoils to create lift and counteract drag force.