Can Heating/Freezing Blankets Manage Extreme Temperature Testing?

• Thread starter acbel
  • Start date
In summary, heating and freezing blankets can be used in extreme temperature testing to simulate harsh environmental conditions and assess the performance of materials and products. These blankets can provide precise and controlled temperature changes, allowing for accurate and efficient testing. They are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics to evaluate the durability and reliability of components under extreme temperatures. Heating and freezing blankets are a valuable tool for manufacturers and researchers in understanding the effects of extreme temperatures on their products.
acbel
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and first of all would like to say Hello to all of you.

I'm an R&D Engineer ( not long since I've graduated ) and I share a great interest in engineering therefore will be following the forum at regular basis.

Today I write to you with a problem I need to solve.

I need to test a relatively small item (2m length by 1m width by 1m height) however the testing needs to be done at different temperatures. The first one would be roughly -50deg C, second at ambient temperature and third at +220deg C. Now previously we have used heating fans for the heat test and liquid nitrogen for the freeze tests (all this wrapped up in a steel box with insulation).

My question is: what would you recommend to improve my tests, I've looked into heating blankets and industrial refrigerators however is there a device that would do both?

Are there heating/freezing blankets available or perhaps refrigerators that allow both positive and negative temperatures?

Engineering news on Phys.org
acbel said:
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and first of all would like to say Hello to all of you.

I'm an R&D Engineer ( not long since I've graduated ) and I share a great interest in engineering therefore will be following the forum at regular basis.

Today I write to you with a problem I need to solve.

I need to test a relatively small item (2m length by 1m width by 1m height) however the testing needs to be done at different temperatures. The first one would be roughly -50deg C, second at ambient temperature and third at +220deg C. Now previously we have used heating fans for the heat test and liquid nitrogen for the freeze tests (all this wrapped up in a steel box with insulation).

My question is: what would you recommend to improve my tests, I've looked into heating blankets and industrial refrigerators however is there a device that would do both?

Are there heating/freezing blankets available or perhaps refrigerators that allow both positive and negative temperatures?

Welcome to the PF.

We use the test chambers from Sun Electronics in our R&D Lab:

http://www.sunelectronics.com/

We use the Liquid CO2 models to be able to support -10C/minute temperature ramps (we use +/-10C/minute temperature ramps in our product reliability testing). Our oven top out at 175C failsafe switches, though. But you might be able to get some models to go up to +220C (wow, that's hot!). :smile:

Hi Berkeman, Thanks for your quick reply,

I will have a look through their website. I've spend good few hours looking for ways of freezing and heating things up and as much as heating is relatively easy, freezing brings many problems. Most likely we will need to get one of the fridges (as large as possible) and modify it.

1. How do heating blankets work?

Heating blankets work by using electrical heating elements, typically made of coils or wires, that are embedded within the fabric of the blanket. When plugged into an electrical outlet, the heating element heats up and warms the blanket. Some heating blankets also have a thermostat that allows you to control the temperature.

2. Are heating blankets safe to use?

Yes, heating blankets are generally safe to use as long as they are used properly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid using the blanket if it is damaged or has exposed wires. It is also recommended to never leave a heating blanket on for an extended period of time or while sleeping.

3. Can I use a heating blanket on my pet?

No, it is not recommended to use a heating blanket on pets. They may not be able to regulate their body temperature properly and could overheat or get burned by the heating element. It is best to use pet-specific heating pads or blankets if necessary.

4. How do I clean a heating blanket?

Most heating blankets are machine washable, but it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions first. Generally, you can remove the heating element and wash the fabric on a gentle cycle with mild detergent. It is important to completely dry the blanket before using it again.

5. Can I use a heating blanket and an electric blanket at the same time?

No, it is not recommended to use a heating blanket and an electric blanket at the same time. This can cause the blankets to overheat and potentially cause a fire. It is best to use one or the other, not both simultaneously.