How to increase the output power of function generator?

In summary, the person is working on a science project involving a Chladni pattern experiment and is in need of a function generator with an output of 10W. They are asking for recommendations on how to increase the output from 5-6W to 10W and where they can find a 10W function generator. They are also inquiring about using an amplifier to increase the output and how to connect it to the function generator. Suggestions are given to find a suitable amplifier and caution is given to not overdrive the amplifier's input. Additionally, options for amplifiers for higher frequencies are recommended.
ymsong01
Hi, I am currently working on science project. But I have a problem. I am conducting Chladni pattern experiment and so I got a function generator (signal generator). But for Chladni pattern experiment, a Function generator has to have an output of 10W. The maximum output of the function generator I have is around 5W to 6W. So when I tried conducting experiment, it did not work out. I am listing my questions now.

Q1. Could anyone tell me how to increase the output of function generator from 5W to 10W?

Q2. Where can I get 10W function generator? Is there any store that lends 10W function generator in BC, Canada?

Q3. What do I need to change the output of function generator? Can I use an amplifier to increase the output? If so, how can I connect the amplifer to the function generator?

Thank you very much and please reply asap.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ymsong01, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Yes, your are correct, you need an amplifier to boost the output of the signal generator so as to drive the exciter (transducer) of the Chaldni pattern.

To choose the amplifier you need to specify only a few requirements:
1. Power out. You've already said you need at least 10Watts
2. Power for amplifier: mains voltage of 110 Volts or 220 Volts (whatever you have there)
3. Frequency response. Your amplifier must pass the desired frequency. If it's in the audio range, then any common audio amplifier will do just fine.

You would connect the output from the generator to the input of the amplifier. BE CAREFUL! Do not overdrive the amplifier's input with too large a signal. Turn the generator output down to a very low level to start.
Then connect the output of the amplifier to the vibrating transducer. Apply power to both and you should be making the beautiful Chladni patterns!

You could buy a simple small amplifier at any music shop. A guitar amplifier would be probably be fine.

(Edit) You can use Google search terms "guitar amplifier 10 Watts" and find many choices...around US$40.00

Last edited:
Or use the amplified external speakers from an old PC.

What if the frequencis are higher than the normal audio bandwidth...like 1 to 10Mhz? What to use then?

Corum10 said:
What if the frequencis are higher than the normal audio bandwidth...like 1 to 10Mhz? What to use then?

Welcome to the PF.

This thread that you found is two years old, but the question is still a valid one. Take a look at the company "Mini-Circuits" to find amplifiers that work at higher frequencies. :smile:

1. How does the output power of a function generator affect its performance?

The output power of a function generator determines the maximum amplitude or voltage that can be generated by the device. A higher output power allows for a wider range of signals and more precise control over the generated waveform.

2. What factors influence the output power of a function generator?

The output power of a function generator is influenced by its internal circuitry, the quality of its components, and its power supply. Additionally, external factors such as the load impedance and the chosen output impedance setting can also affect the output power.

3. Can the output power of a function generator be increased?

Yes, the output power of a function generator can be increased by adjusting the output impedance setting, using a higher quality power supply, or upgrading the internal circuitry and components. However, it is important to note that exceeding the maximum rated output power can damage the device.

4. Is it possible to increase the output power without affecting the accuracy of the generated signal?

In most cases, increasing the output power will not affect the accuracy of the generated signal as long as the device is not pushed beyond its maximum rated power. However, it is always recommended to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines for the specific device being used.

5. Are there any external tools or accessories that can be used to boost the output power of a function generator?

Yes, there are external amplifiers and boosters that can be used to increase the output power of a function generator. These tools can be especially useful for applications that require a higher output power than what the function generator alone can provide.