Direct Integration vs. Green's Theorem

In summary, the problem is to find the value of the double integral for the given region, using both direct integration and Green's theorem. The region is defined by all points above the y-axis and within the circle of radius 1 centered at the origin. Using direct integration, the value of the integral is -2/3, and using Green's theorem, it can be expressed as a line integral over the boundary of the region. The functions used for Green's theorem are F_1 = 1/2*y^2 and F_2 = 1/2*x^2.
wifi
Problem:

##\int_R (x-y)dx \ dy=-2/3 ## for ##R=\{(x,y):x^2+y^2 \geq 1; y \geq 0\}## by

a.) Direction integration,

b.) Green's theorem.

Attempt at a Solution:

I'm a little confused with part a. Wouldn't the region R be defined by all the points above the y-axis that lie on, in addition to above, the circle of radius 1 centered at the origin?

I'm confused on what the limits of integration would be for the integral ##\iint (x-y) dx \ dy##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure that's a typo. It probably should be ##x^2+y^2 \le 1##.

vela said:
I'm sure that's a typo. It probably should be ##x^2+y^2 \le 1##.

So by direct integration I have,

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}(x-y) dy \ dx = 2/3[/tex] Is it supposed to be negative?

You made a mistake somewhere. It is -2/3 rather than +2/3.

Dang. My limits are correct, yes?

Also, how could I apply Green's theorem. I thought the idea was to change a line integral into a double integral, right?

EDIT: Never mind, it was an error on my part. Still not sure how to apply Green's theorem.

Last edited:
Well, you have a double integral. You want to change it into a line integral.

vela said:
Well, you have a double integral. You want to change it into a line integral.

So it'd just be a line integral over the boundary of the region, correct?

Since Green's theorem in a plane is given by [tex]\iint_R (\frac{\partial F_2}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_1}{\partial y})dx \ dy \ =\oint_C (F_1 dx +F_2 dy)[/tex]

for this specific problem we'd have ##\frac{\partial F_2}{\partial x}=x## and ##\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial y}=y##.

Thus, ##F_1=\frac{1}{2}y^2## and ##F_2=\frac{1}{2}x^2##. Right?

Last edited:
Looks good.

1. What is the difference between direct integration and Green's Theorem?

Direct integration is a method in calculus used to find the area under a curve by taking the antiderivative of a function. Green's Theorem, on the other hand, is a theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field to the double integral over a region in the plane. In simpler terms, direct integration is used to find the area under a curve while Green's Theorem is used to find the area between two curves or surfaces.

2. When should I use direct integration and when should I use Green's Theorem?

Direct integration is typically used when the region of integration is a simple shape, such as a rectangle or triangle, and the function is relatively easy to integrate. Green's Theorem is useful when the region of integration is more complex and can be split into multiple simpler regions, and when the function can be expressed as a vector field.

3. Can Green's Theorem be used for regions in three-dimensional space?

No, Green's Theorem can only be applied to regions in the plane. For regions in three-dimensional space, Stokes' Theorem or the Divergence Theorem would be more appropriate.

4. How does direct integration relate to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the limits of integration. Direct integration follows this principle, as it involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at specific points to find the area under a curve.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem can only be used for regions in the plane, and the function must be able to be expressed as a vector field. Additionally, the theorem only applies to simply connected regions, meaning there are no holes or gaps in the region of integration. If these conditions are not met, another method such as direct integration or another theorem must be used.