Need Deflection of Light Clarification

In summary: I was just confused because I assumed a luminiferous ether. This assumption is not necessary in general relativity, as the theory explains the behavior of light without the need for an ether. The curvature of spacetime itself affects the path of light, allowing for the constant speed of light to still hold locally but not necessarily over long distances. This is what leads to the differences in the average speed of light between two distant points.
Devin
Both the Newtonian theory on gravitation and the General theory of Relativity predict a change in the direction of a beam of light as it propagates past a large mass. Regardless of the precision of the Δ velocity component (the component that can represent the vertical shift towards a mass), If you think in terms of vector displacement, then you have a resultant vector who's magnitude is greater than the speed of light. I apologize for the awful depiction. https://twitter.com/ValorAtmC/status/480107448385019904/photo/1 ... I understand that if this were true, a conflict with special relativity is created. With that being said, can somebody please point out what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general relativity, the statement "the speed of light is a constant c" is true only in a local sense. That is, if you could measure the speed of a pulse of light as it passes by you, using measurements that are "close enough" to your own location, you would get c, no matter where you are.

However, the "average" speed between two "distantly" separated points, computed as Δx/Δt, can be different from c, because of effects due to the curvature of spacetime.

Likes 1 person
Devin said:
can somebody please point out what I'm missing?
Your vector displacement is the difference between a deflected path and an undeflected one. Nothing travels along this displacement vector.

Likes 1 person
The speed of light is equal to "c" locally in any small region as measured by local clocks and local rules in any local inertial frame. However, the coordinate speed of light is not necessarily "c" in any given global coordinate system. In generalized coordinates, and in curved space-time, the coordinate speeds don't have any particular physical significance, the locally measured speeds are much more physically significant.

Some of the effects are due to the curvature of space-time, and are rather similar to how a great circle can be the shortest distance between two points on the Earth's surface, yet appear to be "curved" when plotted out on an chart. Like a great circle on the surface of the Earth, the path of light through space-time is a geodesic.

Likes 1 person
jtbell said:
In general relativity, the statement "the speed of light is a constant c" is true only in a local sense. That is, if you could measure the speed of a pulse of light as it passes by you, using measurements that are "close enough" to your own location, you would get c, no matter where you are.

However, the "average" speed between two "distantly" separated points, computed as Δx/Δt, can be different from c, because of effects due to the curvature of spacetime.

Thank you for the response. I was just confused because I assumed a luminiferous ether.

Bill_K said:
Your vector displacement is the difference between a deflected path and an undeflected one. Nothing travels along this displacement vector.

Thank you for the response.

1. What is the deflection of light?

The deflection of light refers to the bending of light rays as they pass through a medium with varying optical density. This phenomenon is caused by the change in speed of light as it travels through different materials with different refractive indices.

2. Why does light deflect?

Light deflects because of the change in speed and direction as it travels through different materials with varying densities. This change in direction is caused by the interaction between light and the atoms/molecules of the medium, which causes the light to bend towards the normal (an imaginary line perpendicular to the surface of the medium).

3. How does the deflection of light affect our perception of objects?

The deflection of light can affect our perception of objects by causing them to appear distorted or shifted in position. This is particularly noticeable when looking at objects through curved surfaces, such as lenses or water droplets. Additionally, the deflection of light can also cause mirages, where objects appear to be in a different location due to the bending of light rays.

4. What factors can influence the amount of deflection in light?

The amount of deflection in light can be influenced by several factors, including the refractive index of the medium, the angle of incidence (the angle at which the light ray enters the medium), and the wavelength of light. Generally, the higher the refractive index and the larger the angle of incidence, the greater the deflection of light.

5. How is the deflection of light used in scientific research?

The deflection of light is used in various scientific research fields, including optics, astronomy, and materials science. For example, in optics, the deflection of light is used in lenses to manipulate and focus light rays, while in astronomy, it is used to study the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars and galaxies. In materials science, the deflection of light is used to analyze the properties and composition of different materials through techniques like ellipsometry.