Finding electric flux through a surface, simple problem, whats wrong?

In summary, the electric field is parallel to the z axis at each point on the surface of the cube shown in Figure 23-27. The length of each edge of the cube is 4.0 m. The net charge contained within the cube is -176000.
mr_coffee
At each point on the surface of the cube shown in Figure 23-27, the electric field is parallel to the z axis. The length of each edge of the cube is 4.0 m. On the top face of the cube E = -40 k N/C, and on the bottom face of the cube E = +29 k N/C. Determine the net charge contained within the cube.
Image: here

Flux = (29E3 N/C)(4.0)^2;
Flux = 464000 k going up
Flux = (-40E3 N/C)(4.0)^2;
Flux = -640000 k going down
Net Flux = -640000 + 464000 = -176000

I submitted it and was inncorrect,
So i tried added them together and i got 1.104E6, that's the flux, now I found an equation that says, Flux = Qtotal/Eo, so I took Flux*Eo = Qtotal and got 9.7704E-6 and it is still wrong!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When finding the flux through a surface, think in terms of inward (-) and outward (+).
mr_coffee said:
Flux = (29E3 N/C)(4.0)^2;
Flux = 464000 k going up
That should be negative, since it points inward.
Flux = (-40E3 N/C)(4.0)^2;
Flux = -640000 k going down
This is also inward, so negative.
Net Flux = -640000 + 464000 = -176000
Redo this, since both are negative.

I submitted it and was inncorrect,
So i tried added them together and i got 1.104E6, that's the flux, now I found an equation that says, Flux = Qtotal/Eo, so I took Flux*Eo = Qtotal and got 9.7704E-6 and it is still wrong!
Signs matter! The flux is negative.

So i got -1.104E-6 for the Flux. So Q = -1.104E-6*8.85E-12 = -9.7704E-6? I have only one more chance so i have to make sure I'm doing this one right, thank you!

Well... does that follow from what I said? And do you think what I said is accurate? :wink:

ahh it was wrong, what did i mess up?

mr_coffee said:
ahh it was wrong, what did i mess up?
Nothing that I can see. But those on-line systems can be picky. (Units, significant figures, etc.)

yeah i hate this system, i'll ask the professor tomarrow what's up, thanks!

1. What is electric flux and why is it important?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with objects and surfaces.

2. How do you calculate electric flux through a surface?

The formula for calculating electric flux is Φ = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface's normal vector.

3. What is a simple problem for finding electric flux through a surface?

A simple problem for finding electric flux through a surface could involve a point charge placed at a distance from a closed surface. The goal would be to calculate the electric flux passing through the surface due to the point charge.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving for electric flux through a surface?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to account for the angle between the electric field and the surface's normal vector, using the wrong units for electric field or surface area, or not considering the direction of the electric field.

5. What could be wrong if my calculated electric flux through a surface is negative?

If your calculated electric flux is negative, it means that the electric field and the surface's normal vector are pointing in opposite directions. This could be due to a mistake in calculating the angle between these two vectors or a mistake in the direction of the electric field.