Primary IDE Master/Slave & Secondary IDE Master Slave?

• Thread starter rahulkhajuria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master
In summary, it seems that there may be an issue with the IDE ports on your system and you will need to properly configure and install drivers to enable Dual Channel Memory Retrieval. Additionally, you will need to install two 1-GB DDR DIMMs in order to utilize the dual-channel functionality.
rahulkhajuria
1) When I start my P.C. , everytime there is blank in front of Primary IDE & Slave & there is some value written in front of Secondary IDE but again blank in front of Secondary Slave .What does this mean ?

2) Although Hardware Detecting Utilities say there are four 1-GB DIMM slots on my system , actually I can see only two upon physical inspection . I have a single 512 MB DDR DIMM at present but plan to buy & put in two 1-GB DDR DIMMs . How do I enable Dual Channel "Memory Retrieval" on this system ? MotherBoard is MS-7101 from MicroStar & NorthBridge is Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P Revision A2

Computer science news on Phys.org
Answer: This could be due to an issue with the drivers or configuration of the IDE ports on your system. The Secondary IDE port is likely not configured correctly, or the drivers for it are not properly installed. To enable Dual Channel Memory Retrieval on your system, you will need to install the appropriate drivers for your motherboard and then configure the BIOS settings to enable Dual Channel Memory Retrieval. You will also need to install two 1-GB DDR DIMMs in order to be able to take advantage of the dual-channel functionality.

What is the purpose of Primary IDE Master/Slave & Secondary IDE Master/Slave?

The Primary IDE Master/Slave & Secondary IDE Master/Slave are used to control the transfer of data between the computer's central processing unit (CPU) and the hard drives or other storage devices. This allows for efficient storage and retrieval of data.

What is the difference between Primary and Secondary IDE?

The Primary IDE is used to connect the main hard drive of the computer, while the Secondary IDE is used to connect additional hard drives or other storage devices. Primary IDE usually has higher priority for data transfer compared to Secondary IDE.

How do I determine which device is set as Primary or Secondary IDE?

To determine which device is set as Primary or Secondary IDE, you can check the labels on the IDE cables. The device connected to the cable labeled "Primary" is set as Primary IDE, while the device connected to the cable labeled "Secondary" is set as Secondary IDE.

Can I change the Primary and Secondary IDE settings?

Yes, you can change the Primary and Secondary IDE settings by accessing the computer's BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). From there, you can change the boot order, which will affect the Primary IDE settings, and you can also change the Secondary IDE settings by enabling or disabling specific devices.

What are the benefits of having Primary and Secondary IDE devices?

The use of Primary and Secondary IDE devices allows for efficient data transfer between the storage devices and the CPU. It also allows for the expansion of storage capacity by adding additional devices through the use of the Secondary IDE. Additionally, the use of Primary and Secondary IDE devices helps to organize and prioritize data transfer, leading to improved system performance.