Levi-civita permutation tensor, and kroneker delta

In summary, the individual is seeking a proof of identities involving the Levi-Civita permutation tensor and the Kronecker delta, which they have found useful in deriving vector calculus identities. They are wondering if there is a proof that does not require knowledge of tensors or linear algebra. They have provided links to resources that may be helpful and are also seeking assistance with a 3-dimensional integral involving a versor. They have corrected some errors in their previous messages.
Divisionbyzer0
Hello, I'm interested in seeing some proof of the identities involving the levi civita permutation tensor and and the kroneker delta. I've discovered the utility and efficiency of these identities in deriving the standard vector calculus identities involving div, grad, and curl, but I'm sort of just applying a formula which I am taking on faith in the process.

I have no formal knowledge of tensors, tensor calculus and the like, and little formal linear algebra knowledge.

Is it possible to find a proof of these identities which doesn't involve one or the other, or one which is semi-convincing that I can satisfy myself with before taking on the subjects of linear algebra and tensor analysis?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, can anyone help me?
I have to solve this 3-dimension integral:
ui*uj*uk*ul du
where u is a versor.
Is it equal to:
delta(i,j)*delta(k,l)+delta(i,k)*delta(j,l)+delta(i,l)*delta(j,k)?
where delta=delta Kronecker

if yes what about the the integrals:

ui*uj*uk*ul*um du
and
ui*uj*uk*ul*um*un du?

(ui,uj,ul,um,un generic component of the versor u)

. I apologize if I don't use Latex (it isn't my pc)

Thanks

silvia

Well the versor must be written in a basis and therefore its components in that basis must be written in any integral.

IF you know the LaTex code you could just type formulas inside [ tex ] tags.

Daniel.

Hi, the integral that I have to solve is this:
[tex]\begin{equation}
\int{d^3u u_a u_b u_c u_d u_e u_f}
\end{equation}[tex]
If I have the T^6 of the Legendre polynom in three dimension all would be done!

silvia

sorry I wrong [tex]!
[tex]
[/tex]

silvia

I wronged again...now maybe!
[tex]\begin{equation}
\end{equation}[/tex]

silvia

1. What is the Levi-Civita permutation tensor?

The Levi-Civita permutation tensor, also known as the alternating tensor, is a mathematical object that represents the sign of a permutation. It is denoted by the symbol ε, and it takes the value of 1, -1, or 0 depending on the order of the indices in the permutation.

2. What is the kroneker delta?

The Kroneker delta is a mathematical symbol that represents the identity matrix in tensor notation. It is denoted by the symbol δ and it takes the value of 1 when the indices are equal, and 0 when they are not equal.

3. How are the Levi-Civita tensor and Kroneker delta related?

The Levi-Civita tensor and Kroneker delta are related as follows: ε_ijmδ_mn = δ_inδ_jm - δ_imδ_jn. This relation is known as the delta identity and it is used in various mathematical operations involving tensors.

4. What are the properties of the Levi-Civita permutation tensor?

The Levi-Civita tensor has several properties, including alternation, skew-symmetry, and normalization. It is also invariant under coordinate transformations and can be used to determine the volume of a parallelepiped in higher dimensions.

5. How is the Levi-Civita tensor used in physics?

The Levi-Civita tensor is used extensively in physics, particularly in electromagnetism and general relativity. It is used to define the cross product in three dimensions, and also plays a crucial role in the formulation of Maxwell's equations and the Einstein field equations.