Question on equation for instantaneous E field along the transmission medium.

In summary, the conversation is about studying Poynting vectors and running into a question about a complex value for the incident E field at z=0, which is not in agreement with what the books say. There is a discussion about whether the phase angle of the incident E field can be ignored or not, and the justification for why the amplitude at z=0 is always real.
yungman
I am studying Poynting vectors. I run into question that I don't see any good explanation in all the books I have. All the books claimed
E[tex]_{(z,t)}[/tex] =E[tex]_{(z=0)}[/tex] Re[e[tex]_{j(wt-\beta z)}[/tex] + [tex]\Gamma[/tex] e[tex]_{j(wt+\beta z)}[/tex]]

But sinse E0 is complex so this is what I have and is not equal to what the book gives. In fact the Electromagnetic by Ulaby actually say ignor the phase angle of E0! Below is what I have:
a44s9e.jpg

Obviously the answer does not agree. This is particularly obvious when working on Poynting vectors. Please tell me what do I miss in this whole thing.

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Once you go into phasor domain, all information is just relative time. Therefore you can assume your Incident Phase Angle is zero. As well as that I believe that your book is assuming that maximum amplitude occurs at z=0(From your Latex Code). These two assumptions seem to be apparent in line 1, but not in line 3 of your derivations.

Last edited:
ravioli said:
Once you go into phasor domain, all information is just relative time. Therefore you can assume your Incident Phase Angle is zero. As well as that I believe that your book is assuming that maximum amplitude occurs at z=0(From your Latex Code). These two assumptions seem to be apparent in line 1, but not in line 3 of your derivations.

But the book of Ulaby even expressly said that the incident E field at z=0 is complex and it has an angle. It just said they are going to ignor it! Ulaby simply say don't look at the phase angle of the incident E field and Cheng just ignor it.

A phasor strip the time domain [tex]\omega[/tex]t out, but the phase angle of incident E field is absolute a spatial domain and cannot be ignor. The solution from the two cannot be made equal to justify that.

I spent 2 days deriving the formulas and just can not make the two agree. I don't see how they can ignor the phase angle unless the incident E field at z=0 is always at maximum which is cosine(0)=1 like you suggested! But what is the justification that the forward traveling E field is ALWAYS maximum at z=0? I have modify my original equation drawing above, please take a look again.

Last edited:
If you were given an oscilloscope, could you distinguish between the incident wave having a phase shift of 0 degrees, 10 degrees, 20 degrees, 30 degrees...?

ravioli said:
If you were given an oscilloscope, could you distinguish between the incident wave having a phase shift of 0 degrees, 10 degrees, 20 degrees, 30 degrees...?

No! This is EM wave, not the voltage and current phasor in transmission. They are the same though, the same question apply on voltage phasor at z=0 at the load. A directional coupler can separate the incident and reflected. But getting to the z=0 is easy to talk, impossible to get to!

I have been looking up quite a few books today on both Plane Wave phasor and transmission line traveling wave phasor. All the books specified that the amplitude at z=0 is REAL. There is not phase angle. If the amplitude is real, then I agree with the book!

Can anyone give me a conclusive theory why the amplitude at z=0 is always real? The only book that claimed the value can be complex, that is Ulaby book.

What is the equation for instantaneous electric field along the transmission medium?

The equation for instantaneous electric field along the transmission medium is given by E = c*B, where E is the electric field, c is the speed of light, and B is the magnetic field.

What is the significance of the equation for instantaneous electric field along the transmission medium?

The equation helps us understand the relationship between the electric field and the magnetic field in an electromagnetic wave. It also helps in predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different mediums.

How is the equation for instantaneous electric field derived?

The equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It specifically comes from the Maxwell-Faraday equation, which relates changes in magnetic fields to the presence of electric fields.

Can the equation for instantaneous electric field along the transmission medium be applied to all types of electromagnetic waves?

Yes, the equation can be applied to all types of electromagnetic waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. This is because all these waves are made up of electric and magnetic fields oscillating at right angles to each other.

Is the equation for instantaneous electric field along the transmission medium affected by the properties of the medium?

Yes, the equation is affected by the properties of the medium through which the electromagnetic wave is traveling. The speed of light, c, can vary depending on the medium, which in turn affects the electric field. The equation remains the same, but the value of c may change.