Lower Limit of central pressure in Star

In summary, using the hydrostatic equilibrium equation and mass conservation equation, we can derive a lower limit for the central pressure of a star by replacing the function M(r) with a constant radius R and integrating from the centre to the surface. This gives us a lower limit of P_C> \frac{G M^2}{8 \pi R^4} dm for the central pressure.
godzilla5002
Hello,

I was given a question in school that says use the hydrostatic equilibrium equation and mass conservation equation to come up with a lower limit of the central pressure of a star at it's centre. Here is how I think:

1) Refer to the density in both equations as the same and sub one into the other.
2) After I did I get: dp = -[G*M(r)]/[4*pi*R^4]dm,

Now from here, I want to integrate using dm and M(r),, but M(r) is a equation with respect to r... so I can't right. Is there some insight you can give me to derive a lower limit for the pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
godzilla5002 said:
Hello,

I was given a question in school that says use the hydrostatic equilibrium equation and mass conservation equation to come up with a lower limit of the central pressure of a star at it's centre. Here is how I think:

1) Refer to the density in both equations as the same and sub one into the other.
2) After I did I get: dp = -[G*M(r)]/[4*pi*R^4]dm,

Now from here, I want to integrate using dm and M(r),, but M(r) is a equation with respect to r... so I can't right. Is there some insight you can give me to derive a lower limit for the pressure.

Assuming M(r) is independent of r seems to give the right answer but I can't figure out why. That's the only way I can see of doing the problem.

I think the trick is to use the fact that we only want a lower limit so if we replace the function with something we can integrate and is definitely lower we will be rigorously correct.

Starting with:

[tex]

dp = -\frac{G m(r)}{4 \pi r^4} dm,

[/tex]

Integrate from the centre to the surface (I've multiplied by -1 to get PC positive as that is what we are interested in. We will assume PS the surface pressure is 0.

[tex]

P_C - P_S = \int_0^{M} \frac{G m(r)}{4 \pi r^4} dm,

[/tex]

Now, we replace r4 (the variable) with R4, the constant radius of the star. Since r4 [tex]\leq[/tex] R4 over the whole range of integration we can be sure that the answer we get is smaller than the true answer.

[tex]

P_C - P_S > \int_0^{M} \frac{G m(r)}{4 \pi R^4} dm,

[/tex]

Do the integral and get:

[tex]

P_C> \frac{G M^2}{8 \pi R^4} dm,

[/tex]

This is a rigorous lower limit for the central pressure of the star.

What is the Lower Limit of Central Pressure in Stars?

The Lower Limit of Central Pressure in Stars refers to the minimum amount of pressure that a star's core must have in order to sustain nuclear fusion reactions. This pressure is determined by the star's mass and temperature, and it is essential for the star to maintain its energy production.

Why is the Lower Limit of Central Pressure important in Stars?

The Lower Limit of Central Pressure is important in Stars because it is the threshold for nuclear fusion, which is the process that powers a star. If the pressure in the star's core falls below this limit, the fusion reactions will stop, and the star will eventually die out.

How is the Lower Limit of Central Pressure calculated?

The Lower Limit of Central Pressure is calculated using the equation known as the Virial Theorem, which relates the total energy of a star to its pressure and volume. This equation takes into account the gravitational potential energy, thermal energy, and other factors to determine the minimum pressure required for nuclear fusion.

What factors affect the Lower Limit of Central Pressure in Stars?

The Lower Limit of Central Pressure is primarily affected by the mass and temperature of the star. The more massive a star is, the higher its pressure must be to sustain nuclear fusion. Similarly, the higher the temperature of the star, the lower the pressure needs to be for fusion to occur.

Can the Lower Limit of Central Pressure change over time?

Yes, the Lower Limit of Central Pressure can change over time. As a star ages and undergoes changes in mass and temperature, the pressure in its core may also fluctuate. This is especially true for stars that are near the end of their lives, as they may experience significant changes in their central pressure before they eventually die out.