What is the initial speed of the ball?

In summary, the problem involves a ball thrown horizontally from the roof of a 55.0m tall building, landing 29.7m from the base. The formula used to solve for the ball's initial speed is (√acceleration/[√2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86. The concept of projectile motion is applied to calculate the speed, with the vertical component being the same as vertical motion under gravity and the horizontal component being motion at constant velocity. The time taken for the ball to reach the ground is approximately 3 seconds, allowing for the calculation of its initial speed.
jkmath16

Homework Statement

ball thrown horizontally from roof of building 55.0m tall and lands 29.7m from the base. find balls initial speed

Homework Equations

(√acceleration/[√2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86

The Attempt at a Solution

(sqroot acceleration/[2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86
the answer is correct..I am confused how it is that i can get to this formula.

I am confused to what "29.7m from the base" means
thanks all
*this is my first time posting, I hope i am doing it correct

Physics news on Phys.org
jkmath16 said:

Homework Statement

ball thrown horizontally from roof of building 55.0m tall and lands 29.7m from the base. find balls initial speed

Homework Equations

(√acceleration/[√2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86

The Attempt at a Solution

(sqroot acceleration/[2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86
the answer is correct..I am confused how it is that i can get to this formula.

I am confused to what "29.7m from the base" means
thanks all
*this is my first time posting, I hope i am doing it correct

This is an example of projectile motion.
The vertical part of the motion is exactly the same as vertical motion under gravity - especially with respect to time.
The horizontal component is just motion at constant velocity.

If you drop a ball 55m, it takes a little over 3 seconds to reach the ground. This ball will also take that same time to reach the ground.
In that time it had been moving away from the wall at constant speed.

Lets pretend it took exactly 3 seconds to land.
If it was initially traveling at 8 m/s, it will land 24m from the wall after 3 seconds.

Your ball tookmore than 3 seconds to get there, and landed 29.7 metres out, but you should be able to do the arithmetic.

1. What is "given height acceleration"?

"Given height acceleration" refers to the acceleration of an object in free fall due to the force of gravity. It is a measure of how fast the object's velocity is changing as it falls.

2. How is height acceleration calculated?

Height acceleration is calculated using the formula a = g, where "a" represents acceleration and "g" represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth. This formula can also be written as a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time.

3. How does height acceleration affect an object's velocity?

Height acceleration determines how quickly an object's velocity changes while it is in free fall. The greater the height acceleration, the faster the object's velocity will increase as it falls. This is because the force of gravity is pulling the object downward with a constant acceleration.

4. Can height acceleration be negative?

Yes, height acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, such as when it is thrown upward. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity is acting in the downward direction and is considered negative.

5. How does air resistance affect height acceleration?

Air resistance can have an impact on the acceleration of an object in free fall. As an object falls, it encounters air resistance, which can slow its descent and decrease its acceleration. This is because air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and can counteract the force of gravity.