Physics lab normal force

In summary: F = ma vertically (in the y direction), from your diagrama (acceleration) vertically is obvously zero, and your only vertical forces are the normal force N, and the weight (which you're calling V, but we usually call it W) …so what is the equation (with the numbers in)? :smile:F=10000*0f=0what's F?F= 0yes, but what is F made of?Force idk m*gForce idk m*gm*g = 0 ? :confused:im so confused man here's what i got for question 1.
albarnett17
Physics lab normal force please help!

A 1000-kg car moves at a maximum speed so that it does not skid off the 50-m radius level track. If the coefficient of static friction between the road and wheels is 0.80. What is the maximum speed? Assume that the gravitational constant is 10.0 N/kg =10.0 m/s. Use the simulations in 4.5 Car Circles a Track to check your answers.

Write an equation for the vertical y-component form of Newton's second law. Determine the magnitude of the normal force. Then use a force law equation to determine the magnitude of the static friction force.

Write an equation for the radial component form of Newton's second law. Use this to determine the maximum speed that the car can travel so that it does not skid (so that friction can provide the needed force to keep the car moving in a circle). Once you have calculated the maximum speed adjust the speed slider in the 4th simulation to this speed and see if the car stays on the track.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi albarnett17! welcome to pf! :wink:

with these questions, do everything in the order the question tells you to

start with …
albarnett17 said:
Write an equation for the vertical y-component form of Newton's second law. Determine the magnitude of the normal force.

… what do you get? :smile:

Idk any equations or where to put what in the equations i have no idea how to do this.

albarnett17 said:
Write an equation for the vertical y-component form of Newton's second law.

in other words:

draw a free body diagram

mark all the external forces on it

then do F = ma in the vertical direction​

what do you get? :smile:

Ok i did i have a diagram but i still don't get sorry but i really do not kno like almost anything in physics

Attachments

• Pict2.gif
    Pict2.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 511
ok, now we have to do F = ma vertically (in the y direction), from your diagram

a (acceleration) vertically is obvously zero, and your only vertical forces are the normal force N, and the weight (which you're calling V, but we usually call it W) …

ok so what is the equation (with the numbers in)? :smile:

F=10000*0
f=0

what's F?

f= 0

yes, but what is F made of?

Force idk m*g

albarnett17 said:
Force idk m*g

m*g = 0 ? :confused:

im so confused man here's what i got for
question 1.F(n) = mg
F(n) =(1000)(9.81)
F(n) =9810 N
SF=UF
SF=(0.80)(9810)
Sf=7848

hi albarnett17! :smile:
albarnett17 said:
im so confused man here's what i got for
question 1.F(n) = mg
F(n) =(1000)(9.81)
F(n) =9810 N
SF=UF
SF=(0.80)(9810)
Sf=7848

ok so far :smile:

(except thequestion says g=10 N/kg, so the friction force is 8000 N)

now use that in F = ma for the x direction :wink:

1. What is the normal force in a physics lab?

The normal force in a physics lab is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from falling through the surface.

2. How is the normal force measured in a physics lab?

The normal force can be measured using a force sensor or a spring scale. The object is placed on the surface and the device is attached to the object to measure the force exerted by the surface.

3. What factors affect the normal force in a physics lab?

The normal force is affected by the weight of the object, the angle of the surface, and any external forces acting on the object. It is also affected by the type of surface the object is in contact with.

4. How is the normal force related to other forces in a physics lab?

The normal force is related to the weight of the object and the force of gravity. It is also related to the frictional force, as the normal force is necessary for friction to occur.

5. Why is the normal force important in a physics lab?

The normal force is important in a physics lab because it helps us understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. It is also necessary for objects to stay in contact with surfaces and for friction to occur.