My Myopia: How do I regain my eyesight?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Perceptron
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has been using the computer and reading books for an average of 4 hours a day for the past 5 years, leading to deteriorating eyesight. They are seeking advice on how to regain their eyesight and are advised to visit an optician for proper medical assistance.
Perceptron
For the past 5 years I have been constantly using the computer for at least on average 4 hours a day and reading books. But I think because of this, my eyes are going bad. I have hard trouble seeing from far distances. Is there any way of regaining my eyesight?

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
The terminology may be different in the UK, but in the USA, an optician is not a medical professional, but rather someone who makes eyeglasses according to a prescription from a medical professional: either an opthalmologist (who is trained in diseases of the eye generally) or an optometrist (who is specialized in measuring visual ability and prescribing the proper corrective lenses for eyeglasses).

1. What causes myopia?

Myopia, or nearsightedness, is caused by a refractive error in the eye. This means that the shape of the eye causes light to focus incorrectly, resulting in blurred distance vision. This can be due to genetics, environmental factors, or a combination of both.

2. How can I prevent myopia from getting worse?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent myopia from getting worse, there are some steps you can take to potentially slow its progression. These include spending more time outdoors, taking breaks from near work (such as reading or using electronic devices), and ensuring proper lighting and posture when doing close-up tasks.

3. Can I regain my eyesight if I have myopia?

While it is not possible to fully regain eyesight if you have myopia, there are options for correcting and improving vision. These include glasses, contact lenses, and refractive surgery. It is important to consult with an eye doctor to determine the best course of action for your specific case.

4. Are there any natural remedies for myopia?

While there are some natural remedies that claim to improve eyesight, there is limited scientific evidence to support their effectiveness. It is important to consult with an eye doctor before trying any natural remedies, as they may not be safe or effective.

5. Can myopia be cured?

Currently, there is no known cure for myopia. However, with proper correction and management, it is possible to greatly improve vision and quality of life for individuals with myopia. Research is ongoing to develop potential future treatments for myopia.