Importance of differential geometry in physics?

In summary: I might be wrong about that. In summary, Differential Geometry is important in the formulation of classical mechanics, and is a relatively modern and advanced field.
cytochrome
How important is differential geometry in physics? Can someone give me some applicable fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
General relativity and finding the shortest distance to Grandma's house over the hills and far away.

DiracPool said:
...and finding the shortest distance to Grandma's house over the hills and far away.

Hahaha this is funny, I like your humor. Like! (sorry, there's no like button, but you get the gist.)

Are you referring to Geodesics (shortest path between two points)?

Yes, that's why Reimann developed his models originally, it was for land survey work. Little did he know what would become of it.

cytochrome said:
How important is differential geometry in physics? Can someone give me some applicable fields?

Like DiracPool said, Differential Geometry is the key mathematics in Einstein's General theory of Relativity.

It is used to derive Einstein's field equations to describe the curvature of Spacetime in the presence of a body of mass and energy. This curvature of Spacetime results to the phenomenon we know as gravity, including how the planets move in orbit around the Sun, among others. The mathematics (Differental Geometry) used in Einstein's field equations also predicted the existence of black holes, including concepts of the Event Horizon and Singularity as key and important regions in black holes. (I think it was the Schwarzschild solution to Einstein's equations who pioneered this prediction/discovery, being the first pioneering solution to Einstein's field equations.)

To learn and read more about the mathematics of General Relativity, and how Differential Geometry is extensively used in the theory and other areas of physics, here's some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_of_general_relativity[/PLAIN]
(Granting the wikipedia article shows and discusses high level mathematics, so it might be hard to really get a grasp on them. I myself tried to read it, but lacking knowledge of tensors and differential geometry in general, makes it very difficult to understand)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_geometry#Applications

Here's also the Wikipedia page of Differential Geometry

To quote the Wiki, under the Applications section:
In physics, three uses will be mentioned:
  1. Differential geometry is the language in which Einstein's general theory of relativity is expressed. According to the theory, the universe is a smooth manifold equipped with a pseudo-Riemannian metric, which describes the curvature of space-time. Understanding this curvature is essential for the positioning of satellites into orbit around the earth. Differential geometry is also indispensable in the study of gravitational lensing and black holes.
  2. Differential forms are used in the study of electromagnetism.
  3. Differential geometry has applications to both Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics. Symplectic manifolds in particular can be used to study Hamiltonian systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
DiracPool said:
Yes, that's why Reimann developed his models originally, it was for land survey work. Little did he know what would become of it.

Ohh really? I didn't know that. I thought Riemann developed his models just for pure mathematical pursuits? Was it for real-world applications? And his works were primarily based from the earlier works of Gauss, right? (Wikipedia says that Riemann studied under Gauss, with Gauss being his doctoral advisor.) It was said that Gauss discovered/developed non-Euclidean Geometries but did not publish it.

By land survey, you mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveying ? I must admit, it's the first time I heard about such a thing, atleast as a scientific field kind of sense. What is it about?

cytochrome said:

Other than GR, it's essential in continuum mechanics (stress-strain), both in the bulk and at deformable interfaces.

kweba said:
Hate to be technical but they aren't necessarily the shortest paths. They extremize but don't necessarily minimize. Other than what has already been mentioned, differential geometry is very important in more advanced formulations of classical mechanics.

0Hate to be technical but they aren't necessarily the shortest paths. They extremize but don't necessarily minimize.[/QUOTE]

Oh thank you for correcting me, and clearing it out!

WannabeNewton said:
Other than what has already been mentioned, differential geometry is very important in more advanced formulations of classical mechanics.
Which are Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics, right? Oh cool it says that in Wikipedia:

To quote the Wiki page of Differential Geometry, under the Applications section, the third item under Physics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_geometry#Applications said:
Differential geometry has applications to both Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics. Symplectic manifolds in particular can be used to study Hamiltonian systems.

I did not know this. I thought since Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics are still considered to be "classical" in Physics, I thought the mathematics utilized in these formulations are limited to Calculus/Analysis. I considered Differential Geometry to be relatively modern and advanced, so yeah. But then again, I still haven't studied even an undergraduate physics/mathematics course (Still not yet in University/College), so obviously I'm wrong to assume. :)

Last edited:
To answer the first question: It's pretty unimportant compared to e.g. differentiation and integration in R^n, linear algebra or differential equations.

Differential geometry is also needed if one wants to understand the geometric setting of gauge theories which are formulated using a mathematical object called fiber bundles. In short, it is good to study differential geometry if you want to be a theoretical physicist.

DiracPool said:
I don't know, maybe it was Gauss...

Apparently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Friedrich_Gauss#Middle_years_.281799.E2.80.931830.29 said:
Gauss also claimed to have discovered the possibility of non-Euclidean geometries but never published it. This discovery was a major paradigm shift in mathematics, as it freed mathematicians from the mistaken belief that Euclid's axioms were the only way to make geometry consistent and non-contradictory. Research on these geometries led to, among other things, Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the universe as non-Euclidean. His friend Farkas Wolfgang Bolyai with whom Gauss had sworn "brotherhood and the banner of truth" as a student, had tried in vain for many years to prove the parallel postulate from Euclid's other axioms of geometry. Bolyai's son, János Bolyai, discovered non-Euclidean geometry in 1829; his work was published in 1832. After seeing it, Gauss wrote to Farkas Bolyai: "To praise it would amount to praising myself. For the entire content of the work... coincides almost exactly with my own meditations which have occupied my mind for the past thirty or thirty-five years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Friedrich_Gauss#Middle_years_.281799.E2.80.931830.29

Riemann, in turn, pioneered and develop his own branch of differential geometry, Riemannian Geometry, which is the key specific mathematics from Differential Geometry used in GR.

To quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemannian_geometry:
[PLAIN said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemannian_geometry]Riemannian[/PLAIN] geometry originated with the vision of Bernhard Riemann expressed in his inaugurational lecture Ueber die Hypothesen, welche der Geometrie zu Grunde liegen (English: On the hypotheses on which geometry is based)...Development of Riemannian geometry resulted in synthesis of diverse results concerning the geometry of surfaces and the behavior of geodesics on them...It enabled Einstein's general relativity theory...

DiracPool said:

This is a cool video, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
DiracPool said:
Yes, that's why Reimann developed his models originally, it was for land survey work.

[citation needed]

There is no way this is believable without some kind of reference.

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using calculus and linear algebra. It involves the study of how geometric objects change when they are subjected to continuous transformations.

2. How is differential geometry related to physics?

Differential geometry is used in physics to describe the curvature and geometry of space and time. It is essential in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the effects of gravity on the structure of the universe.

3. Why is differential geometry important in physics?

Differential geometry is important in physics because it provides a mathematical framework for describing the complex geometries of the universe. It allows us to understand the fundamental concepts of space, time, and gravity, and has played a crucial role in the development of modern physics.

4. How does differential geometry help in understanding higher dimensions?

Differential geometry helps in understanding higher dimensions by providing tools to study the properties of curves and surfaces in n-dimensional space. It allows us to visualize and analyze complex geometries that are not possible in three-dimensional space.

5. Can differential geometry be applied to other fields besides physics?

Yes, differential geometry has applications in many other fields, including engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It is also used in the study of complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and chaos theory.