Register to reply

Need help finding function!

by eqm
Tags: function
Share this thread:
eqm
Oct5-13, 04:58 PM
P: 4
Hi! This is my first ever post on PF. Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out on this!

I'm trying to find a general function that describes the curve in the attached image. As you can see, it is periodic and decays as it approaches infinity. y ≥ 0 at all times; f(0)=0; symmetric about y axis.

The period should increase as well - the distance between the first local maxima on the each side of the y axis should be very small (nearly 0) but increases at a very large rate. For example, set the highest local maximas as p and p' and the second highest as q and q'. Well the distance between p and p' <<<< than the distance between p and q (similarly p' and q').

I'll post more drawings if need be. Thank you very much to whoever helps me out with this.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
eqm
Oct5-13, 04:58 PM
Didn't realize the picture would be huge... Sorry!
Mark44
Oct5-13, 08:38 PM
Mentor
P: 21,214
Can you post a smaller version of the image you posted? It should be around 900 px X 600 px or so. Yours was way larger than that.

eqm
Oct5-13, 09:25 PM
Need help finding function!

That's what I thought, sorry :/

Register to reply