Does Sulfuric acid donate both of it H+ protons?

In summary: It's all about the equilibrium between the concentrations of H2SO4 and HSO4- ions. At a pH of 2.0 there is no H2SO4 in the solution, but concentrations of HSO4- and SO42- are identical (so at this particular pH half of HSO4- donated its proton to water). So it tends to not do it because it is less stable than H2SO4? But would the HS04- become somewhat basic because of the negative charge?
gangsterlover
H2SO4 + H2O -> HSO4- + H3O+

A question by a noob.

I get the fact that water can act as an acid and as a base. The oxygen "pulls" the hydrogen+ ion away from the sulfuric acid oxygen hydrogen bond an gets one itself and becomes positively charged, therefore a hydronium.

However, I wonder does sulfuric acid donate it`s other proton as well. I see no reason why it wouldn`t I mean it would still be somewhat stable, cause the charge is quite spread out over the 3 oxygen atoms, so more stable more acidic. At least that`s how I am getting it when drawing those resonance structures. When the sulfuric acid molecule would lose both of them, I wonder wouldn`t the sulfuric acid be quite unstable then. And become a base, wouldn`t it just rip out the protons from the oxygen again, because of the size of sulfur in comparison with oxygen.

The oxygen couldn`t accept another proton, but what about another oxygen?

People please help me I am in a mess here :(
If I have stated something from ^^ above please tell me, I am still a underclass rookie.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It can, but HSO4- is a much weaker acid than H2SO4.

It is all about dissociation equilibria. For example at pH=2.0 there is no H2SO4 in the solution (well, some traces), but concentrations of HSO4- and SO42- are identical (so at this particular pH half of HSO4- donated its proton to water).

But it tends to not do it because it is less stable than H2SO4? Because of the negative charge right?

But would the HS04- become somewhat basic because of the negative charge?

To call it somewhat basic or ''weakly acidic'' are relative terms. It doesn't describe very much. The negative charge doesn't indicate whether something is basic or not, there are just general trends which have many exceptions, but hold for a lot of cases.

Could you then shortly explain why acids don`t end up like bases when they give up their protons?

They do end up like bases in a sense, they will take back a proton if they can. This happens in many reactions

1. What is Sulfuric acid and how does it donate H+ protons?

Sulfuric acid is a strong mineral acid with the chemical formula H2SO4. It has two hydrogen ions (H+) that can be donated to a base, leaving behind a sulfate ion (SO42-). This process is known as dissociation, where the acid breaks apart into ions when dissolved in water.

2. Is Sulfuric acid a strong or weak acid?

Sulfuric acid is considered a strong acid because it dissociates almost completely in water, meaning that nearly all of its molecules break apart into ions. This results in a high concentration of H+ protons in solution, making it a powerful acid.

3. Does Sulfuric acid donate both of its H+ protons?

Yes, Sulfuric acid donates both of its H+ protons when dissolved in water. This is because it is a diprotic acid, meaning it has two acidic hydrogen atoms that can be donated separately.

4. How does the donation of H+ protons affect the pH of a solution?

When Sulfuric acid donates its H+ protons, it increases the concentration of H+ ions in the solution, making it more acidic. This results in a decrease in pH, as the concentration of H+ ions is inversely related to the pH scale.

5. What are some common uses of Sulfuric acid?

Sulfuric acid has many industrial and laboratory uses, such as in the production of fertilizers, refining of petroleum, and manufacturing of chemicals. It is also commonly used in car batteries and as a cleaning agent in household and commercial settings.