Can an Orange Break Through 1/2" Drywall?

• Thread starter claegreid
  • Start date
In summary, if you throw an orange through a 1/2" sheet of drywall (gypsum board), it will most likely fly apart and be destroyed. If you are trying to do this experiment, be very careful and do not do it at home.
claegreid
OK, PF, I have an argument to settle and I need some expert advice.
A friend of mine claims that it is possible to throw an orange through a 1/2" sheet of drywall (gypsum board); several other friends refute his claim. I would like to do the math to prove/disprove the theory, but my line of work doesn't give me a lot of practice with the physics of such dynamic elements.

Question to the forum: how would I go about setting up an equation solve for this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just give it a try?

Khashishi said:
Why don't you just give it a try?

That's the next step. But if I find out how much force is necessary and it is more than a human arm can supply, then I will have to build a cannon of sorts to achieve what man cannot. :biggrin:

claegreid said:
OK, PF, I have an argument to settle and I need some expert advice.
A friend of mine claims that it is possible to throw an orange through a 1/2" sheet of drywall (gypsum board); several other friends refute his claim. I would like to do the math to prove/disprove the theory, but my line of work doesn't give me a lot of practice with the physics of such dynamic elements.

Question to the forum: how would I go about setting up an equation solve for this problem.

Thanks in advance!

1/2" drywall is not very strong. Especially if you freeze the orange first... :smile:

berkeman said:
Especially if you freeze the orange first... :smile:

And don't forget that if a baseball pitcher or a cricket fast bowler did the experiment, the orange would hit the drywall traveling at more than 90 mph.

Perhaps google for the impact properties of drywall. If you can't find them you will have to do the experiment.

Don't try this at home, folks!

claegreid said:
That's the next step. But if I find out how much force is necessary and it is more than a human arm can supply, then I will have to build a cannon of sorts to achieve what man cannot. :biggrin:

Uh, this seems to be outside the conditions of the OP... ? I refer to the word "throw"...

The question becomes one of whether the orange will fly apart from the acceleration or air turbulence before it gets enough momentum to break the drywall.

http://www.gypsum.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GA-235-10.pdf talks about drywall strength.
I'd have to learn more about the methods used for measurement of Effective Modulus of Rupture (MOR) per ASTM C 1396 to understand how to apply the numbers.

Are you considering a freestanding 4x8 sheet? or one nailed to 17" studs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only somewhat related, but I love this movie of a cannon firing a 2x4 through a brick wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can an Orange really break through 1/2" drywall?

The answer is yes, an Orange can break through 1/2" drywall. This may seem surprising, but the force of the Orange hitting the drywall at a high velocity can cause it to break through the relatively thin material.

2. What is the science behind an Orange breaking through drywall?

The science behind an Orange breaking through drywall is related to the concept of force and pressure. When the Orange is thrown or dropped onto the drywall, it gains a significant amount of kinetic energy. This energy is then exerted onto the drywall, causing it to break.

3. How much force is required for an Orange to break through 1/2" drywall?

The amount of force required for an Orange to break through 1/2" drywall can vary depending on the size and weight of the Orange, as well as the speed at which it is thrown or dropped. However, in general, it takes a significant amount of force to break through drywall, and an Orange would need to be thrown at a high velocity to achieve this.

4. Can other fruits or objects break through drywall like an Orange?

Other fruits or objects may be able to break through drywall, but it would depend on their weight, density, and velocity. Oranges are a good example because they are relatively dense and have a tough outer skin that can withstand impact. However, it is not recommended to intentionally try to break through drywall with any object.

5. Is it safe to throw or drop an Orange onto drywall?

While an Orange may be able to break through 1/2" drywall, it is not safe to intentionally throw or drop an Orange onto drywall. Doing so can damage the drywall and potentially cause injury. It is important to handle all objects with care and use proper safety measures when working with drywall.