Is it time to rethink the name of Theory Development in the Physics section?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, I believe that the name, as it stands, is false advertisement. There are more "guesses" than theories, and there's barely anything "developing" other than making its way into oblivion. I would also suggest that TD be moved out of the main Physics section and into the PF Lounge section (I would rather it be removed, but that's not going to happen).
NoTime said:
The citation is the standard for significance in science.

And you think I don't know that?

That would be VERY strange considering that I highlighted the 10 most cited papers from PRL. But just because something is cited doesn't mean it has made my criteria of being "significant". The Podkletnov paper from Physica B has also been cited, but for the WRONG reasons.

Zz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NoTime said:
Although I have heard that there is some evidence for Cooper pairing, I don't recall hearing that anybody has proved it yet.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:uhh:

marlon

edit : i think it's time to move this TD-thread to the TD-section. Maybe it can become a sticky there :wink:

marlon said:
edit : i think it's time to move this TD-thread to the TD-section. Maybe it can become a sticky there :wink:
I did take the trouble to look that up :smile:
So for a sample of one, there was some educational value to this thread
Cheers :biggrin:

marlon said:

:uhh:

marlon

In all fairness marlon, I think that comment was made in the context of MgB2. But that makes it only a tad bit less preposterous ! :wink: (no ill intended here)

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
In all fairness marlon, I think that comment was made in the context of MgB2. But that makes it only a tad bit less preposterous ! :wink: (no ill intended here)

In that case, should i apologize ? If so, i will

regards
marlon

marlon said:
In that case, should i apologize ? If so, i will

regards
marlon
Thanks. No offense taken.
I did realize why you selected the quote. :smile:
As I noted in the original post, the information was out of date.
People do not always read what I thought I wrote.
I consider this to be a personal failure. :redface:

I found Lanzara, Gweon and Lee to be quite interesting.
Well worth the price of the trip. :rofl:

BTW, ignorance is curable.
Perhaps my main objection to the demise of TD.

Enjoy

NoTime said:
Thanks. No offense taken.
I did realize why you selected the quote. :smile:
As I noted in the original post, the information was out of date.
People do not always read what I thought I wrote.
I consider this to be a personal failure. :redface:

I found Lanzara, Gweon and Lee to be quite interesting.
Well worth the price of the trip. :rofl:

It was seriously out-of-date because cooper pairing has to occur in superconductivity AND this is plainly obvious for MgB2 within a month of the Akimitsu paper since that's how long it took for the first tunneling experiment on the critter to appear.

Not sure why you bring out Lanzara and co. What their phonon picture for High-Tc superconductors have anything to do with this escapes me.

Zz.

Since I first read Zapper's challenge, I've had an eye out for something that would show 'he woz rong', and thought it would be fairly easy ... Zapper won't be at all surprised to hear that I haven't come across anything yet.

There is a small boundary issue - "physics", yes; "astrophysics", yes; "cosmology", maybe?; "geophysics", maybe?; "biophysics", maybe not; "astronomy", maybe not; ... Andre's comment about continental drift (a.k.a. plate tectonics) and Wegener points us towards 'planetary science', much of which has been 'physics' from Day 1, but much is (still) very clearly 'geology'.

It's been mentioned a few times already, but deserves repeating ... there are thousands upon thousands of papers published in peer reviewed journals that we would today say are 'wrong' - there's a rather sobering asymmetry when you spend some time reading a random selection of threads here in PF's TD!

One grey area is 'curiosity, poorly expressed' - I feel that helping someone who's curious work through their thinking and approach is one of the things we try to do here in PF; it's sometimes difficult, partly because the thickets of misunderstanding and 'physics by press release' may addle the brain. Partly for this reason, I try not to be too hasty about moving a thread or a post off to TD.

Finally, what about renaming TD 'Pseudoscience'? I feel TD's greatest educational value is to help give PF readers a better sense of what distinguishes 'science' from 'pseudoscience' (after all, merely repeating '... self-consistent, consistent with good observational and experimental results in its domain of applicability, ...' is dry - to learn often involves looking at good examples and counter-examples). Perhaps we could put it together with the 'Credible Anomalies Awaiting Proper Investigation' part of S&D?

I think we should call the TD-section : Personal Science Philosophy

:)

marlon

Nereid said:
Since I first read Zapper's challenge, I've had an eye out for something that would show 'he woz rong', and thought it would be fairly easy ... Zapper won't be at all surprised to hear that I haven't come across anything yet.

.. and I'm sure many people will continue to scour all over to prove me wrong. :)

There is a small boundary issue - "physics", yes; "astrophysics", yes; "cosmology", maybe?; "geophysics", maybe?; "biophysics", maybe not; "astronomy", maybe not; ... Andre's comment about continental drift (a.k.a. plate tectonics) and Wegener points us towards 'planetary science', much of which has been 'physics' from Day 1, but much is (still) very clearly 'geology'.

While I don't consider "planetary science" within the same traditional boundaries of physics, it certainly does make use of physics. Furthermore, journals like PRL, Science, and Nature would count it as a "physical science" subject and would categorize it as such. I just do not include it in my counting simply because I am ignorant of that area of study and haven't paid much attention to it. Thus, my challenge is limited to within the body of knowledge of physics in the traditional sense since that is what I have "data" for.

It's been mentioned a few times already, but deserves repeating ... there are thousands upon thousands of papers published in peer reviewed journals that we would today say are 'wrong' - there's a rather sobering asymmetry when you spend some time reading a random selection of threads here in PF's TD!

Exactly. I've said this often, that even AFTER a paper is published, there is no guarantee that it will amount to anything. Publishing isn't a sign for "validity". It isn't a necessary and sufficient criteria. However, it certainly is a NECESSARY criteria for it to eventually make a significant impact in physics.

One grey area is 'curiosity, poorly expressed' - I feel that helping someone who's curious work through their thinking and approach is one of the things we try to do here in PF; it's sometimes difficult, partly because the thickets of misunderstanding and 'physics by press release' may addle the brain. Partly for this reason, I try not to be too hasty about moving a thread or a post off to TD.

Finally, what about renaming TD 'Pseudoscience'? I feel TD's greatest educational value is to help give PF readers a better sense of what distinguishes 'science' from 'pseudoscience' (after all, merely repeating '... self-consistent, consistent with good observational and experimental results in its domain of applicability, ...' is dry - to learn often involves looking at good examples and counter-examples). Perhaps we could put it together with the 'Credible Anomalies Awaiting Proper Investigation' part of S&D?

I could go for that Pseudoscience name. It certainly is more accurately descriptive than "Theory Development".

Zz.

Now, I think the Wegener case might be a typical case in which scientifically sound results may be overlooked/rejected at first:

A somewhat "obscure", or at least non-mainstream area in physics in which there are actually very few scientists at work, so that there really isn't a peer community which can evaluate a piece of unfamiliar work properly.
(It would at least be interesting to test this on the Wegener case; who, and how many scientists at his time were actually sufficiently familiar with/interested in the issues to give his work a proper evaluation?)

It is quite indicative of crackpots that they are not interested in "minor", very specialized areas in physics; rather, they want to prove Einstein wrong or QM wrong, or, occasionally, to prove old Isaac wrong.

Last edited:
Nereid said:

Nice :smile:
I like Marlon's name better though :biggrin:

zapperz said:
There are more "guesses" than theories, and there's barely anything "developing" other than making its way into oblivion.

zapperz said:
I could go for that Pseudoscience name. It certainly is more accurately descriptive than "Theory Development".

I think Zapper's indeed being correct about the stuff posted in Theory Development. You cannot propose any new theory unless there is a strong experimental evidence supporting it. For students like me though it is difficult to distinguish between the 'genuinely' good theories from pseudo-ones. This might lead to furthur confusion between the facts and the hoaxes.

To put in cruder or rather harsher terms, no matter how intriguing, fascinating or convincing a theory sounds, IF it lacks experimental evidence, it HAS to be chucked out!

Reshma said:
For students like me though it is difficult to distinguish between the 'genuinely' good theories from pseudo-ones. This might lead to furthur confusion between the facts and the hoaxes.
Don't know about that. For me it just led to a lot of trips to the library researching the various claims.

Reshma said:
IF it lacks experimental evidence, it HAS to be chucked out!
Like the various string and quantum gravity theories?

NoTime said:
Don't know about that. For me it just led to a lot of trips to the library researching the various claims.

I was searching the net hoping to find some answers.

Like the various string and quantum gravity theories?
OK..I agree, in the realm of theoretical physics it is difficult to come up with experimental evidence. The problem is that relativity and the quantum theory are precise opposites.

General relativity is a theory of the very large: galaxies, quasars, black holes, and even the Big Bang. It is based on bending the beautiful four dimensional fabric of space and time.

The quantum theory, by contrast, is a theory which deals with the sub-atomic world. It is based on discrete, tiny packets of energy called quanta.

BUT, over the past 50 years, many attempts have been tried to unite these polar opposites, and have failed. The road to the Unified Field Theory, the Theory of Everything, is littered with the corpses of failed attempts.
By far the only successful theory is QED. The rest according to me are highly speculative and dubious by nature.

Moonbear said:
Even in the true sense of theory development (not the PF definition), a theory that is unpublished is still a work in progress. It may still be untrue, and it would still lack sufficient evidence to be publishable. Once sufficient evidence is obtained to support it, it can be published. No person in their right mind would discuss such a theory on an open forum such as this lest someone in a bigger and better funded lab scoop the project and beat you to the publication. Scientists do share these ideas with each other at this early stage, but it is done in scientific meetings accompanied by published abstracts that offer some protection that the original idea is yours.

Why wouldn’t a copyright provide the same or better level of protection? Unpublished works can be registered for a copyright. An unpublished work is no more or less protected than a published work. It seems to me that a “bigger and better funded lab” would lose credibility hence future funding if it tried to retain originator status for work legally held as prior by a copyright registration, so they wouldn’t do it. Then it seems that discussing such a copyrighted theory in an open forum such as this is no more a risk (and probably less risk) than discussing such an uncopyrighted theory in a scientific meeting accompanied by a published abstract. What do you think?

Also, anything discussed in this forum is published to an audience in electronic form, which is recognized as a valid form of publishing hence copyrighted by default by the US copyright office. The advantage to registering is primarily to get a government-issued timestamp in advance. But if someone discussed an original idea here, and it was subsequently scooped by a big lab, US courts would defer to the prior work if the forum timestamp were deemed reliable (a bigger if than I’d rely on).

ZapperZ said:
If someone has a brilliant idea, an open physics forum is NOT the place to do it. Find a knowledgeable person in that subject area, and get his/her review of that idea. Then if it passes that test, submit it to a peer-reviewed journal.

For a good idea, I don’t see the big advantage of the peer-reviewed journal over the open forum (see my post to Moonbear immediately above). Seems like a lot more work to jump through the hoops (formatting, submitting, publishing delay, other bureaucracy) of the journal. Can you elaborate? A semi-open forum (i.e. limited moderation) seems to me to be the best place overall to submit. Arxiv is the best I’ve seen for those with the ability to post there. I agree on passing the test of review by those in the know.

Zanket said:
For a good idea, I don’t see the big advantage of the peer-reviewed journal over the open forum (see my post to Moonbear immediately above). Seems like a lot more work to jump through the hoops (formatting, submitting, publishing delay, other bureaucracy) of the journal. Can you elaborate? A semi-open forum (i.e. limited moderation) seems to me to be the best place overall to submit. Arxiv is the best I’ve seen for those with the ability to post there. I agree on passing the test of review by those in the know.

You are forgetting that I have a rather obvious and tested evidence: the advancement of physics so far (at least within the past 100 years) have come SOLELY via the communication through peer-reviewed journals!

The arxiv has its purpose. I have several preprints uploaded there. But for most of us in this field, that's the major use of that site - to upload preprints as a quick way to inform others of a paper that is going through the review process. I read them as I would read a newspaper, but I do not use them as I would use a physics textbook. I will still wait till the final version appear in a peer-reviewed journal, and trust me, a manuscript can change, and change A LOT by the time it gets to its final form!

The arxiv is the quickest way to know what people are up to, especially your competitors in the field. It, however, is not the source that one wants to use to base one's entire set of knowledge. Again, I will challenge anyone to show where something that has only appeared in such a medium has made any significant impact in advancing the body of knowledge. Till that can be shown, I don't see how it can rivaled, even anywhere near, the peer-reviewed system.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The arxiv has its purpose. I have several preprints uploaded there. But for most of us in this field, that's the major use of that site - to upload preprints as a quick way to inform others of a paper that is going through the review process.
I don't understand this: so you are in the process of publishing a paper and then you put the 'unreviewed' preprint online? Is that not against the guidelines of the journal you are aiming to publish in: you are not supposed to have published the work in any form, except at meetings, or have it in review by another journal. You sign away the copyright of the text to the journal you are publishing in, so how can you put it online in an open source?

Monique said:
I don't understand this: so you are in the process of publishing a paper and then you put the 'unreviewed' preprint online? Is that not against the guidelines of the journal you are aiming to publish in: you are not supposed to have published the work in any form, except at meetings, or have it in review by another journal. You sign away the copyright of the text to the journal you are publishing in, so how can you put it online in an open source?

Nope. In fact, if you are submitting to any of the Physical Review journals, you can upload to them AND the arxiv server simultaneously. They even accept "pointer" to the arxiv server. Furthermore, both Nature and Science have indicated that their embargo does NOT include arxiv and scientific conference presentation. The only risk here being that if a commercial media picked up the results you're presenting and reported it in print, then you have violated their embargo.

I believe that most physics journals do not have any restrictions on preprints appearing in arxiv. It has become the leading source for the community to get the fastest info on what is going on.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v390/n6659/full/390427b0_fs.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
That is the first time I see that, I never quite got the concept of Arxiv as in biology it is not used; the guidelines are as I described. The link explains:
In other areas, where the communities are larger and the variability in quality and sheer volume of preprinted material somewhat daunting, preprint servers are active but appear to be considered less useful for those reasons.
Scientific communication is speeded up with the fact that journals now publish electronic pre-prints several days after a manuscript has been accepted. There are some unfortunate cases where manuscripts are rejected by grumpy reviewers, but I'd hesitate to dive into unreviewed archives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Scientific communication is speeded up with the fact that journals now publish electronic pre-prints several days after a manuscript has been accepted. There are some unfortunate cases where manuscripts are rejected by grumpy reviewers, but I'd hesitate to dive into unreviewed archives.

I don't use the unreviewed preprints in the arxiv servers as "references" in terms of scientific content, unless I already know the authors or groups that those work came from. In those cases, I can usually tell the "validity" of the work and how careful results coming from such a group are usually obtained. This is where knowing the history of the subject area is important. But most people do not have such knowledge on deciding which is which. I also do not use as references articles from people I am not familiar with and would certain wait till that particular manuscript appears in print.

The exception so far to this rule is those in the String/Superstring/etc. area where the Arxiv has almost taken over as the preferred means to communicate. Maybe it's due to the nature of the field or the fact that a lot of "conjectures" are being made, but the arxiv is a very common citation references in many of such papers and presentation. However, keep in mind that this is a VERY small section of physics [I will refrain on giving my personal opinion on that subject area].

The moral of the story is, people who don't know any better should NOT rely on Arxiv as their source of information. It is more suited for those who are working in the subject area.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You are forgetting that I have a rather obvious and tested evidence: the advancement of physics so far (at least within the past 100 years) have come SOLELY via the communication through peer-reviewed journals!

I don’t dispute that, but it seems irrelevant unless I take it to mean that, because of that, a paper published outside of a peer-reviewed journal has a nil chance of being read by physicists. Is that what you mean?

The arxiv is the quickest way to know what people are up to, especially your competitors in the field. It, however, is not the source that one wants to use to base one's entire set of knowledge.

It seems that arxiv just needs to add journal-quality peer-reviewed sections to satisfy your need and put the journals out of business.

Again, I will challenge anyone to show where something that has only appeared in such a medium has made any significant impact in advancing the body of knowledge. Till that can be shown, I don't see how it can rivaled, even anywhere near, the peer-reviewed system.

That’s putting the cart before the horse. If someone had an idea and didn’t have the credentials even for arxiv, it seems to me that forums like this one are decent places to post it. Even forums like this, being that some professional physicists (or impending ones) are here, are a form of peer review. Just look at how fast the bad ideas are shot down here, saving the poster the bureaucracy and long wait of a journal.

Zanket said:
I don’t dispute that, but it seems irrelevant unless I take it to mean that, because of that, a paper published outside of a peer-reviewed journal has a nil chance of being read by physicists. Is that what you mean?

That, and a whole lot of others. A paper outside of peer-reviewed journals has NEVER, in the last 100 years, made ANY significant contributions to the advancement in the physics body of knowledge. So why would I want to waste my time reading something that would amount to nothing? If it has any relevance, or any CHANCE to even be considered to be either valid or any signficance, it would have appeared in a peer-reviewed journals. Just think of how many papers a typical physicist read, and figure out of one wants to waste time reading something that is not even published, especially considering the historical records.

It seems that arxiv just needs to add journal-quality peer-reviewed sections to satisfy your need and put the journals out of business.

Then this is no different than any peer-reviewed journals! Most physics journals already put their stuff out on the web. Adding peer-reviewed to Arxiv would make then no different.

You are also forgetting that journals such as PRL, Nature, and Science not just select and publish "high-impact" papers, they also have their publicity machines that advertizes and highlights some of the papers that they publish. It is why those 3 journals are the most sought-after publications for physics. A medium for publication just doesn't get the prestigue and respect overnight out of nothing.

That’s putting the cart before the horse. If someone had an idea and didn’t have the credentials even for arxiv, it seems to me that forums like this one are decent places to post it. Even forums like this, being that some professional physicists (or impending ones) are here, are a form of peer review. Just look at how fast the bad ideas are shot down here, saving the poster the bureaucracy and long wait of a journal.

But this is purely conjecture! We have had arguments like this for as long as I can remember (do a search on PF if you don't believe me). Point out to me a case where someone with a valid work in physics that could not put it out in a peer-reviewed journal because of lack of "credientials", and have managed to use forums such as this as a stepping stone to "credibility". I put it to you that what you imagined has not happened.

Using a forum such as this to work out an idea is a rather dubious way to go about something like this. How do you know the credentials of the person who's responding? Is that person an expert in that area of physics even though he/she has a "Science Advisor" medal? Besides, quacks have very seldom pay any particular attention to valid physical arguments - please visit the TD section of you don't believe me. Instead, forums such as this is a means for them to advertize their flaky idea and websites. It is the only means for what they do to see the light of day.

I suggest you look at a typical 'work' in the TD section and figure out the amount of effort required to apply "a form of peer-review" that you have in mind. If you are able to sustain the same level of effort for a month straight, then we'll talk.

Zz.

Zanket said:
Why wouldn’t a copyright provide the same or better level of protection? Unpublished works can be registered for a copyright. An unpublished work is no more or less protected than a published work. It seems to me that a “bigger and better funded lab” would lose credibility hence future funding if it tried to retain originator status for work legally held as prior by a copyright registration, so they wouldn’t do it. Then it seems that discussing such a copyrighted theory in an open forum such as this is no more a risk (and probably less risk) than discussing such an uncopyrighted theory in a scientific meeting accompanied by a published abstract. What do you think?

Also, anything discussed in this forum is published to an audience in electronic form, which is recognized as a valid form of publishing hence copyrighted by default by the US copyright office. The advantage to registering is primarily to get a government-issued timestamp in advance. But if someone discussed an original idea here, and it was subsequently scooped by a big lab, US courts would defer to the prior work if the forum timestamp were deemed reliable (a bigger if than I’d rely on).

I'm not sure the purpose of obtaining a copyright on flawed work. If the idea you publish is flawed, there's nothing to stop someone from building upon that to identify the flaws and publish something better. They can cite your work for your original idea, but what does it accomplish to have a citation that points out that you were wrong?

If I discuss an idea with someone else, any thoughts they contribute that help me, I need to acknowledge and give them credit for; if it is substantial, then they will be a co-author on the publication, and if it is minor, I will mention them in the acknowledgments section. The same would apply here. Once you put up the idea for discussion, any contributions you receive that help you modify your idea or design an improved experiment need to be acknowledged and credit given to those discussing it. If you missed something and they supplied that missing detail, that key detail is not your idea but theirs, and they are free to use it.

In generally, however, ideas that are the product of discussion, where two or more people are all providing input, are very hard to disentangle with regard to ownership. Unless there is a prior agreement of collaboration and/or co-authorship, the ideas that come out as a product of a discussion would most likely be considered a collective idea rather than something individually owned, thus are free for anyone participating in that group to use as they wish. If I approach someone else to discuss an idea with them, perhaps someone in that bigger and better equipped lab, the conversation usually begins with a statement, "I have an idea that I think you can help me with, would you be interested in a possible collaboration?" As the discussion continues, if indeed they are able to help out and have the set-up needed to do the work I can't do myself, then we not only discuss the general idea of collaboration, but follow up with, "If you do ... work/experiments for me, I will include you as a co-author on any manuscripts that result from this work." This is the verbal contract that protects our shared ideas as shared. If this is not part of the conversation, they are free to do what they want with the product of our discussion, as they are equal owners of those ideas.

Zanket said:

No, this is not a way around peer-review. For one, those who are here who are qualified to be peer reviewers are already doing so for journals, and are not going to take time away from those to waste time on an idea that's not even worked out enough to be submitted to one of those other journals. Second, there is absolutely no assurance that among the practicing physicists who visit this site that any of them has expertise in the specific area addressed by your theory sufficient to give you a quality critique. What journals do is for an editor to screen articles by topic and then send them out to suitable reviewers. They aren't just sent randomly to any scientist, they are sent to those who have sufficient expertise in the area addressed by the paper to give a qualified critique. Of course, if you're presenting something so flawed that even those outside your area of expertise can identify major problems, then you have no hope of getting it past the experts. Indeed, they probably won't even waste their time on a detailed critique, but will do the same thing of pointing out a few fatal flaws and reject it. Why pick through details when there's a giant, glaring flaw? Most of those posting in TD have such flaws in what they present, and don't seem to understand that there's no point in going through details when the bigger idea is seriously flawed, yet if you read through the posts there, you will see that over and again, where a major flaw is pointed out and they ignore that comment going on to ask for comment on picky details that is just wasted effort.

ZapperZ said:
Just think of how many papers a typical physicist read, and figure out of one wants to waste time reading something that is not even published, especially considering the historical records.

You don’t read any of the junk here?

Then this is no different than any peer-reviewed journals! Most physics journals already put their stuff out on the web. Adding peer-reviewed to Arxiv would make then no different.

Makes sense.

You are also forgetting that journals such as PRL, Nature, and Science not just select and publish "high-impact" papers, they also have their publicity machines that advertizes and highlights some of the papers that they publish. It is why those 3 journals are the most sought-after publications for physics. A medium for publication just doesn't get the prestigue and respect overnight out of nothing.

Good info.

Point out to me a case where someone with a valid work in physics that could not put it out in a peer-reviewed journal because of lack of "credientials", and have managed to use forums such as this as a stepping stone to "credibility". I put it to you that what you imagined has not happened.

I don’t dispute that. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen though. Supposing lack of credentials is not an issue (as it is on arxiv), journals still have inefficient hurdles. A submitter spends days reformatting a paper to the journal’s exacting specifications and then waits months for a reply, whereas this forum takes plain text and a reply might take only minutes. I think a good idea can transcend the drawbacks of a forum like this, in which case the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Using a forum such as this to work out an idea is a rather dubious way to go about something like this. How do you know the credentials of the person who's responding?

Whether they are qualified seems easy to verify sans credentials, for it’s tough to sound logical while spewing crap.

Moonbear said:
I'm not sure the purpose of obtaining a copyright on flawed work. If the idea you publish is flawed, there's nothing to stop someone from building upon that to identify the flaws and publish something better. They can cite your work for your original idea, but what does it accomplish to have a citation that points out that you were wrong?

Such idea is flawed regardless how it’s published. But it seems the original idea is still better protected by the copyright method than by the “published abstract in a scientific meeting” method.

As to the rest of that post, let me paraphrase and correct me if I got it wrong: The reason “No person in their right mind would discuss such a theory on an open forum such as this” is because the flaws could then be corrected by anyone, who gets credit for the completion, whereas in a collaboration and/or co-authorship setting there’s an agreement (implied or otherwise) that all involved will equally share credit for the completion.

No, this is not a way around peer-review. For one, those who are here who are qualified to be peer reviewers are already doing so for journals, and are not going to take time away from those to waste time on an idea that's not even worked out enough to be submitted to one of those other journals.

I see time spent on such ideas by presumably-qualified people here. Poorly-conceived ideas don’t last long here, for example.

Second, there is absolutely no assurance that among the practicing physicists who visit this site that any of them has expertise in the specific area addressed by your theory sufficient to give you a quality critique.

For obscure areas, sure. But if the area is popular, there’s decent assurance.

What journals do is for an editor to screen articles by topic and then send them out to suitable reviewers. They aren't just sent randomly to any scientist, they are sent to those who have sufficient expertise in the area addressed by the paper to give a qualified critique.

And if the author is sans credentials, don’t they then reject the article sight unseen? Isn’t that prudent given the unlikelihood, historically given, that such article would pass even the initial screening?

Of course, if you're presenting something so flawed that even those outside your area of expertise can identify major problems, then you have no hope of getting it past the experts. Indeed, they probably won't even waste their time on a detailed critique, but will do the same thing of pointing out a few fatal flaws and reject it. Why pick through details when there's a giant, glaring flaw?

Indeed. That’s why it would seem more efficient to post here first, where flaws can be pointed out in hours rather than months. The author can weigh that benefit against the drawback that you pointed out regarding credit of the corrected idea. And if no flaw is found here, then it seems that time has potentially been gained and nothing has been lost.

Zanket said:
You don’t read any of the junk here?

No, I don't. As soon as something is relegated to the TD section, it might as well not even be on here as far as I'm concerned.

I don’t dispute that. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen though. Supposing lack of credentials is not an issue (as it is on arxiv), journals still have inefficient hurdles. A submitter spends days reformatting a paper to the journal’s exacting specifications and then waits months for a reply, whereas this forum takes plain text and a reply might take only minutes. I think a good idea can transcend the drawbacks of a forum like this, in which case the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

So you're asking for us to consider ALL eventual possibilities, no matter how small or how unlikely it will happen? In this case, the possibility of it occurring is ZERO, based on history. But we just have to accommodate that possibility no matter how extremely it is to occur?? Do you know how unreasonable of a request that sounds?

Whether they are qualified seems easy to verify sans credentials, for it’s tough to sound logical while spewing crap.

Logic has nothing to do with it. I can make things up VERY easily and sound as if I know what I'm talking about. Many quacks are masters at making their arguments vague and ambiguous. There's nothing "illogical" about it. Only someone who is an expert in that particular field would be able to either spot the flaw, or the inconsistencies, or the incrediblly dubious way of how the physics has been mangled. This takes a LOT of effort. I suggest you try your hand at it sometime if you can.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So you're asking for us to consider ALL eventual possibilities, no matter how small or how unlikely it will happen?

I’m saying that, without asking for anything, a good idea posted to forums like this will likely be received by physicists eventually. People like you will read it, and finding nothing wrong with it, will not relegate it to the TD section. And if it would affect their own research if valid, it is unlikely they would ignore it outright simply because of where it was published.

Logic has nothing to do with it. I can make things up VERY easily and sound as if I know what I'm talking about. Many quacks are masters at making their arguments vague and ambiguous. There's nothing "illogical" about it.

A vague and ambiguous argument is illogical, isn’t it? The risk of being fooled can be greatly lowered by getting corroboration. But you have a good point.

Zanket said:
I’m saying that, without asking for anything, a good idea posted to forums like this will likely be received by physicists eventually. People like you will read it, and finding nothing wrong with it, will not relegate it to the TD section. And if it would affect their own research if valid, it is unlikely they would ignore it outright simply because of where it was published.

In all my years on the 'net, and I have been online since 1989 and read the Usenet back then, and have continued to come across various different physics forums, I have never, ever come across what you have described. You will understand if I have extreme skepticism of what you think is even a remote possibility. In my book, that possibility is zero.

Zz.

With fear and trepidation, I offer three "PF" examples:

- Andre's 'Venus rotation braking' idea (his posts should be relatively easily found) - he worked it out in some details, posted here in PF, and asked for critiques. No one (IMHO) really gave him any, yet it may contain an idea (and some early, moderate-to-good exploration of that idea) that pans out; check back in a decade or three!

- turbo-1 and 'ZPE' being the source of 'deviations' to GR. This is (IMHO) an example of what will NOT go anywhere; the cosmological implications/aspects of ZPE are fascinating, but turbo-1 did not introduce anything 'new' (in the sense of ideas that aren't already the subject of dozens of papers)

- Garth and 'SCC'. This is the closest I've come across as something that meet's Zapper's challenge - several 'SCC-related' papers (apparently) have been published, and the only reason I can see that his own was rejected by reviewer(s) was an obsession with the certainty that DM exists. Now I'll be the first to admit that I DO NOT have all 'the facts' to hand (e.g. there could have been many other, very valid, reasons why reviewers rejected Garth's paper, that he didn't tell us about). But best of all about Garth's idea is his forthrightness in saying that GPB's results will clearly be inconsistent with his idea, or with GR (at the many sigma level), so we have only to wait another few months!

Nereid said:
- Andre's 'Venus rotation braking' idea (his posts should be relatively easily found) - he worked it out in some details, posted here in PF, and asked for critiques. No one (IMHO) really gave him any, yet it may contain an idea (and some early, moderate-to-good exploration of that idea) that pans out; check back in a decade or three!

But this is exactly why such a forum such as this is useless in such a discussion. Something like this is highly specific, and only the small number of professional working in that field would be qualified, or even have the ability, to judge such things and carry any remotely intelligent discussion. And yes, it would be a "discussion" rather than someone "publishing" an idea onto a forum, which is what quacks try to do.

And if we check back in a decade or three, who would be around to verify or even remember such a thing appeared in PF? Would there be the same care to archive everything the way the Physical Review has done with their entire catalog of published papers? I'd say that this is even more of a reason why I find doing such a thing in an open forum is thoroughly illogical.

- Garth and 'SCC'. This is the closest I've come across as something that meet's Zapper's challenge - several 'SCC-related' papers (apparently) have been published, and the only reason I can see that his own was rejected by reviewer(s) was an obsession with the certainty that DM exists. Now I'll be the first to admit that I DO NOT have all 'the facts' to hand (e.g. there could have been many other, very valid, reasons why reviewers rejected Garth's paper, that he didn't tell us about). But best of all about Garth's idea is his forthrightness in saying that GPB's results will clearly be inconsistent with his idea, or with GR (at the many sigma level), so we have only to wait another few months!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Garth has mentioned that he had published such a thing. I have no idea why this idea is being "pushed" on here, when it should be done among people who are experts in the field. I do not consider this as a valid example of what I have requested. It's like me trying to convince you that the overdoped Bi-2212 high-Tc cuprate has Fermi Liquid properties AFTER I've published it. Why would I want to do such a thing here, of all places?

Zz.

Zanket said:
As to the rest of that post, let me paraphrase and correct me if I got it wrong: The reason “No person in their right mind would discuss such a theory on an open forum such as this” is because the flaws could then be corrected by anyone, who gets credit for the completion, whereas in a collaboration and/or co-authorship setting there’s an agreement (implied or otherwise) that all involved will equally share credit for the completion.
Correct.

And if the author is sans credentials, don’t they then reject the article sight unseen? Isn’t that prudent given the unlikelihood, historically given, that such article would pass even the initial screening?
No. As long as it fits within the scope of the journal and complies with the instructions to authors, it will be given a review. The exception would be to a handful of journals, such as Science and Nature, where a pre-review screening is done to only send out papers for full review that are of sufficiently high impact or broad interest for those journals.

Indeed. That’s why it would seem more efficient to post here first, where flaws can be pointed out in hours rather than months.
Months? Most reviews are returned within two or three weeks, at least for the journals I submit to. Since it has become so easy to submit everything electronically, there's no need for delay anymore waiting for reviewers to respond via mail.
The author can weigh that benefit against the drawback that you pointed out regarding credit of the corrected idea. And if no flaw is found here, then it seems that time has potentially been gained and nothing has been lost.
Except that is still not the purpose of PF. It was somewhat tolerated in the past, but it's a cost-benefit issue. The cost of all the crackpots posting and the effort required to keep them in check far outweighs using this site as a place to post a legitimate new theory. Besides, how has time been gained in posting the theory here? You'd still have to send the manuscript out for peer review for publication. This still doesn't count as a publication. I doubt that's the business Greg is interested in getting into. If it is unflawed, it has wasted time by not being submitted directly to a journal where people could actually cite the publication and to get it out where the majority of people in the field would see it.

ZapperZ said:
And if we check back in a decade or three, who would be around to verify or even remember such a thing appeared in PF? Would there be the same care to archive everything the way the Physical Review has done with their entire catalog of published papers? I'd say that this is even more of a reason why I find doing such a thing in an open forum is thoroughly illogical.

Another very good point. Unlike published journals, which are archived in both print and electronic formats and distributed throughout numerous libraries (I recall when much of the library collection at UT was destroyed in floods, emails were sent out requesting donations of old issues of journals such as Science, of which their bound copies were destroyed...if one library loses their collection, there are still archives in many other places so that the articles and information contained within them are not lost forever), all it would take here would be a server crash, or Greg deciding he was tired of keeping this site running, and whatever is posted here would be gone. I don't know if Greg bothers to back up his server. He probably does, but is under no obligation to do so.