What is the Parametric Expression for the Lemniscate of Bernoulli?

In summary, the lemniscate of Bernoulli is a curve that can be expressed parametrically using the equations x(t) = \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t} and y(t) = \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t} where t \in [-\pi, \pi). When t is outside of this interval, the curve repeats on itself. This can be shown by substituting these equations into the Cartesian equation given and simplifying to show that it reduces to an identity.
jamesbob
The lemniscate of Bernoulli is the curve that is the locus of points the product of whose distances from two fixed centres (called the foci) a distance of 2c apart is the cosntant [tex][c^2[/tex]. If the foci have Cartesian coordinates [tex](\pmc, 0)[/tex] the Cartesian equation of the lemniscate is

[tex]([x-c]^2 + y^2)([x + c]^2 + y^2) = c^4[/tex]​

or

[tex](x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2c^2(x^2 - y^2).[/tex]​

a) Show that the lemniscate of Bernoulli may be expressed parametrically by

[tex] x(t) = \sqrt{2c}\frac{\cost}{1 + \sin^2t}[/tex], [tex] y(t) = \sqrt{2c}\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}[/tex]​

where [tex] t \epsilon[-\pi, \pi). [/tex] For t out of this interval the curve repeats on itself.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Should read "If the foci have Cartesian coordinates [tex](\pm c, 0)[/tex]..."

and x(t) is missing a cos(t) on the numerator

I'll fix the question

Modified quote:

jamesbob said:
The lemniscate of Bernoulli is the curve that is the locus of points the product of whose distances from two fixed centres (called the foci) a distance of 2c apart is the cosntant [tex][c^2[/tex]. If the foci have Cartesian coordinates [tex](\pm c, 0)[/tex] the Cartesian equation of the lemniscate is

[tex]([x-c]^2 + y^2)([x + c]^2 + y^2) = c^4[/tex]​

or

[tex](x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2c^2(x^2 - y^2).[/tex]​

a) Show that the lemniscate of Bernoulli may be expressed parametrically by

[tex] x(t) = \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}[/tex], [tex] y(t) = \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}[/tex]​

where [tex] t \in[-\pi, \pi). [/tex] For t out of this interval the curve repeats on itself.)

note that the c is no longer under the square root

Last edited:
a) Just plug-in x=x(t) and y=y(t) into either of the given equations and show that it reduces to an identity and note that x(t) and y(t) are periodic functions, having as a funamental period [tex] t \in [-\pi, \pi). [/tex]. BTW, use \in rather than \epsilon for "element of".

Thanks very much for fixing my post and for your help! So i just plug

[tex] x = \sqrt{2c}\frac{cost}{1 + \sin^2t} and y = \sqrt{2c}\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t} [/tex] into the 2 equations?

Last edited:
That's right, as benorin posted. Also remember about the rt(2c). It should be rt(2)*c.

BTW, if you'ld like a challenge, try and find the slope of the curve at the origin :smile:

Just substituting in doesn't prove it though. It shows that any point of the form (x(t), y(t)) is on the lemniscate--it doesn't show that every point on the lemniscate is of the form (x(t), y(t)).

I'm not sure what the simplest way to show the latter is. One way I can think of is expanding out your second formula for the lemniscate, which will give you a quadratic equation in x^2. Solve that equation for x^2 and from that find how many solutions there are for a given y (which is the number of values of x that are possible for a given y). Then show that for a given y(t), the parametric equation yields the same number of x(t) as there are solutions x for that y.

Last edited:
Ok I'm still stuck on this and get the feeling I am doing something silly and overcomplicated. I tried fitting those x and y values to the first equation and got:

[tex] ([\sqrt{2}c\frac{cost}{1 + sin^2t} - c]^2 + \sqrt{2}c\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}) \times ([\sqrt{2}c\frac{cost}{1 + sin^2t} + c]^2 + \sqrt{2}c\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}) [/tex]

So thismultiplies to:

[tex] (2c^2\frac{\cos^2t}{1 + \sin^2t} - c^2 + 2c^2\frac{\cos^2t\sin^2t}{(1 + sin^2t)^2}) \times (2c^2\frac{\cos^2t}{(1 + \sin^2t)^2} + c^2 + 2c^2\frac{\cos^2t\sin^2t}{(1 + sin^2t)^2}) [/tex]

I have to run, ill continue posting my calculations later, tho I am sure its wrong already.

Last edited:
Argh why is my latex code not working. There should be cos's and sin's on the top line of the first part

If you use \cos or \sin, either leave a space after them and before the argument or use {} around the arguement, for example: \cos t = [tex]\cos t[/tex], but \cost = [tex]\cost[/tex]

Sometimes I get just a blank space where an unrecognized function is like \log is OK, but \Log is blank.

And, by the way, using the second form of the equation given is far easier...

Try the easier equation...

Let us substitute

[tex] x(t) = \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}[/tex]

[tex] y(t) = \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}[/tex]

into

[tex](x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2c^2(x^2 - y^2)[/tex]

to get

[tex]\left[\left( \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}\right) ^2 + \left( \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}\right) ^2 \right] ^2 = 2c^2\left[\left( \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}\right) ^2 - \left( \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}\right) ^2 \right][/tex]

now simplify to get something like 0=0 :smile:

Last edited:
Im being really dumb here and just cannot simplify this. So far i get:

[tex] 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^4} + 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} + 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t\sin^4 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} = 4c^4(\frac{cos^2 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^2} - \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 +sin^2 t)^2}) [/tex]

This somehow equates

[tex] \frac{\cos^4 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^4} + \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} + \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^4 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} = \frac{cos^2 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^2} - \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 +sin^2 t)^2} ? [/tex]

Last edited:
ok i finally got this, il code it later when i get a chance, but thanks for your help

What is a parametric expression?

A parametric expression is a mathematical expression that contains one or more variables called parameters. These parameters can take on different values, resulting in different values for the expression.

What are the applications of parametric expressions?

Parametric expressions are widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and describe complex systems, predict outcomes, and create visual representations of data.

What is the difference between parametric and non-parametric expressions?

The main difference between parametric and non-parametric expressions is that parametric expressions have variables (parameters) that can take on different values, while non-parametric expressions do not. Non-parametric expressions have fixed values and cannot be altered.

How do parametric expressions help in data analysis?

Parametric expressions are helpful in data analysis because they allow for the manipulation and exploration of multiple variables at once, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the data. They also allow for the creation of models and predictions based on the data.

What are some common types of parametric expressions?

Some common types of parametric expressions include linear equations, quadratic equations, and exponential functions. These types of expressions are often used to describe and analyze real-world phenomena, such as growth and decay, motion, and change over time.