A Startled Fawn – A Close Encounter

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, a white-tail fawn barreled down the driveway heading right for the open doors (and me), and when I moved a bit and said "hi, little guy", he tried to stop, but slipped and went down in a pile on the asphalt right at my feet. He managed to get on his feet after thrashing and slipping a bit, and ran back up the driveway and down the road.
turbo
Gold Member
Just moments ago, I had filled up the bird feeder and was just leaving the garage to re-hang it, when a white-tail fawn barreled down the driveway heading right for the open doors (and me). He showed no signs of slowing down and when he was about 10 feet away, I moved a bit and said "hi, little guy". Then he saw me and tried to stop. He slipped and went down in a pile on the asphalt right at my feet. He managed to get on his feet after thrashing and slipping a bit, and ran back up the driveway and down the road. Big ears, big eyes, white spots and a wet black nose...too cute!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aww, I'm so glad this wasn't sad. I was almost afraid to read it.

Evo said:
Aww, I'm so glad this wasn't sad. I was almost afraid to read it.
He was kind of funny with his legs all tangled up. I could have reached down and grabbed him, but that would have scared him - I just hope that he wasn't orphaned. When he was running for the garage, he was panicy, like he was being chased. We have lots of coyotes around and a good-sized black bear, so there are plenty of critters that might have wanted to have him for lunch.

Yes, it's very strange for a little one to be running off like that alone. Something must've happened. :frown:

Why are you being so negative, Evo?:rolleyes:

He could have been spooked by something, or else just out testing those legs. Every once in a while, the fawns decide to run off at top-speed to play...usually mom is pretty close by when they do that, even if you don't see her.

I was half expecting a collision in the garage from the set-up! I'm relieved he was able to turn in time. :smile:

yomamma said:
Why are you being so negative, Evo?:rolleyes:
Because I'm sad. :frown:

Evo said:
Because I'm sad. :frown:
Would you have rather preferred to hear about how a bird was shot in a field by hunters? :D

Moonbear said:
He could have been spooked by something, or else just out testing those legs. Every once in a while, the fawns decide to run off at top-speed to play...usually mom is pretty close by when they do that, even if you don't see her.

I was half expecting a collision in the garage from the set-up! I'm relieved he was able to turn in time. :smile:
I was bracing for impact. He was not very big, but he was coming pretty fast. If I had not alerted him to my presence (deer have very poor eyesight) he would have plowed into me. If he had not fallen, I doubt that he would have been able to slow down enough to avoid colliding with me. I've got chickadees and nuthatches that eat seeds from my hand and red squirrels and chipmunks that tolerate me at very close range, but I don't think I want a pet deer. Years ago, we were living in a house trailer out in the woods, and I was studying to become a papermaker. To unwind after work, I would sit in the gravel driveway with sunflower seeds and feed the chipmunk in our rock wall. Within a couple of days, she was eating out of my hand, and before the week was out, all I'd have to do is come home, go inside the trailer and load my shirt pocket with seeds. She'd come barreling across the driveway, run up the front of me and dive head-first into my pocket. I could handle her like kids play with hamsters. When her babies tried to cozy up to me the next spring, she would shriek at them and bite them to drive them off - thanks to me, she had a ton of food for the winter and she wasn't going to let the kids in on the gravy. The chipmunk that comes here is a male, and I guess his food requirements aren't as high as the female's, because he is a bit stand-offish and will only come as close as 2' or so.

z-component said:
Would you have rather preferred to hear about how a bird was shot in a field by hunters? :D
:cry: :frown: Ok, now you made me cry. No more sad stuff, I can't take it. :frown:

Glad Bambi didn't make it into your house. A doe crashed through my in-laws' screen door one time, and trashed a good part of the house trying to get out. They finally opened enough doors that the deer made it back outside, but the cleanup was substantial.

Aww, I'm sorry, Evo. By the way, you and I never got to go to prom together... :frown: I'm a college student now; times change! But for you I suppose I'll consider taking you out on a date, perhaps! Next time though, you'll be outa luck!

z-component said:
Aww, I'm sorry, Evo. By the way, you and I never got to go to prom together... :frown: I'm a college student now; times change! But for you I suppose I'll consider taking you out on a date, perhaps! Next time though, you'll be outa luck!
Hey, I waited all night and you NEVER SHOWED UP! :frown:

z-component said:

I hope it was tasty. Don't shoot anything you don't plan on eating, unless they're trying to eat you :rofl:

1. How common are close encounters with startled fawns?

Close encounters with startled fawns are not very common. Fawns are naturally skittish and will usually flee at the slightest sign of danger. However, in certain circumstances such as during hunting season or when fawns are separated from their mothers, they may be more likely to approach humans.

2. What should I do if I come across a startled fawn?

If you come across a startled fawn, it is important to give it space and not approach or try to touch it. Fawns are often left alone by their mothers for extended periods of time, and the mother will likely return to care for the fawn once the perceived danger has passed.

3. Are startled fawns dangerous?

No, startled fawns are not dangerous. They are more likely to run away or freeze in place when encountering humans. However, it is important to keep a safe distance and not attempt to handle or disturb them.

4. How can I help a startled fawn that seems to be abandoned?

If you come across a fawn that appears to be abandoned, it is best to contact a local wildlife rehabilitation center for assistance. These centers have trained professionals who can properly care for the fawn and ensure its safe return to the wild.

5. Can I keep a startled fawn as a pet?

No, it is illegal to keep a startled fawn (or any wild animal) as a pet. Fawns require specialized care and a natural habitat to thrive, which cannot be provided by a human household. It is also important to keep wild animals in the wild to maintain a balanced ecosystem.