Solving Scalar Product Problem: Find Perpendicular Distance

In summary, the problem is to find the perpendicular distance from a point to a line using parametric vector equations. The solution involves finding a vector perpendicular to the line and using the dot product to solve for the distance.
pavadrin
Hey,
Today I was given a problem to solve in class and was told to complete it for homework. This problem is as follows:

The line y=mx + c has a gradient m and cuts the y-axis at (0,c). Thus we can write the parametric vector equation of the line as:

[tex]r = cj +\lambda (i + mj)[/tex]

Using this fact show that that the perpendicular distance from point [tex]A(x_1 , y_1)[/tex] to y = mx + c is:

[tex]\mid(\frac{mx_{1} - y_{1} + c}{\sqrt{m^2 + 1}})\mid[/tex]

If y = mx + c is instead written as ax + by + d = 0 show that the perpendicular distance of point [tex]A(x_1 , y_1)[/tex] to as ax + by + d = 0 is given by:

[tex]\mid(\frac{ax_{1} - by_{1} + d}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}})\mid[/tex]

This diagram which I drew to help me may help:

PF.JPG

______________________​

I have tried solving this problem by using vectors:

PF4.GIF

and I know that the dot product of [tex]( x_1 , y_1 )[/tex] and y = mx + c is equal to zero but from there onwards I am not sure on how to approach this problem. All help is appreciated,
thanks, Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to find a vector perpendicular to the line y = mx + c. Call this vector u. Let v be the vector that points to A. Then for some n, nu + v = r. The magnitude of nu is the perpendicular distance from the point A to the line y = mx + c.

Hello Pavadrin,

Solving scalar product problems can be challenging, but with the right approach, it can be solved easily. The first step is to understand the problem and the given equations. In this case, we are looking for the perpendicular distance from a point to a given line.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for the perpendicular distance from a point to a line. This formula is derived from the dot product of two vectors. The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. In this case, the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees, so the cosine is equal to 0. Therefore, the dot product is equal to 0, which gives us the formula for the perpendicular distance.

Using this formula, we can solve for the perpendicular distance from point A to y = mx + c. We substitute the values of point A and the given line equation into the formula and simplify it to get the final result:

Perpendicular distance = |(mx_1 - y_1 + c)/√(m^2 + 1)|

Similarly, for the line ax + by + d = 0, we can use the same formula and substitute the values to get the final result:

Perpendicular distance = |(ax_1 - by_1 + d)/√(a^2 + b^2)|

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Remember, understanding the concept and using the right formula is key in solving any scalar product problem. Keep practicing and you will master it in no time.

Best regards,

1. What is a scalar product?

A scalar product, also known as a dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar value as output. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How do you find the perpendicular distance using scalar product?

The perpendicular distance can be found by dividing the absolute value of the scalar product between the given vector and the perpendicular vector by the magnitude of the perpendicular vector. This can be represented by the formula d = |a · b| / |b|.

3. Can the scalar product be negative?

Yes, the scalar product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for the cosine of the angle. The negative value indicates that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions.

4. How is scalar product used in real life?

Scalar product has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in calculating work, force, and displacement in physics problems. In engineering, it is used to determine the angle between two planes. In mathematics, it is used to find the angle between two lines or the shortest distance between a point and a line.

5. Are there any limitations to using scalar product to find perpendicular distance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using scalar product to find perpendicular distance. It can only be used in two or three dimensions, and the vectors must be orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. Additionally, the distance calculated is the shortest distance between the point and the line, which may not always be the desired distance in practical applications.