Should I invest in mathematica?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter silverdiesel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, Maple is more user-friendly and has a steeper learning curve, but is faster and more robust when mastered. Mathematica is good for numerical computation, but is better suited for when you have an impossible integral to compute.
silverdiesel
I am a sophmore physics major. I'm just curious if you all think it will be benificial to have Mathematica ($150 for the student edition) for any and all future homework assignments. I do have access to it at the school labs, but they are usually closed when I like to study, and well.. just wondering if it is worth having my own copy.

thanks much.:tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, since I am on the topic, you know what I really need? A CAS (computer algebra system) that can do algebra one step at a time. For example, I am currently working on a problem where I have to take the determinant of a 3x3 matrix where each position in the matrix is a polynomial. It can get hairy. Its one thing to punch in the matrix and see what mathematica says the determinant should be, but how it got there is the real trick.

I wouldn't bother buying Mathematica until you're sure that Maxima can't do what you need to do for free.

- Warren

Mathematica is garbarge compared to Maple in my opinion. I wouldn't invest in it.

silverdiesel, do you have examples of such tools?

Chipset said:
silverdiesel, do you have examples of such tools?

What tools? Not sure what you mean. I have used mathematica at school, if that is what you mean. In regard to the one-step-at-a-time CAS, no. It was just an idea.

hmm, maybe there is some sort of algebra teaching software that would work... (again, just thinking out loud)

What advantages does Maple have over Mathematica?

Daverz said:
What advantages does Maple have over Mathematica?

I like the coding that they use much much better.

I purchased MatLab last year, and I love it. I was thinking about buying Mathematica at first, but after researching I found that most engineers use MatLab in real world situations.

But I don't know about for a physicist.

There's a free analogue to MATLAB too, called Octave.

- Warren

JasonRox said:
I like the coding that they use much much better.

The coding? Do you mean the syntax of the programming language?

Matlab is good for numerical computation...but Mathematica is what you turn to when you have an impossible integral to compute, and you want a symbolic answer.

I went ahead and purchased mathematica yesterday. Good stuff. It was able to confirm the solutions to a couple 3x3 determinants I have been working on (all symbolic, no numbers).

JasonRox said:
Mathematica is garbarge compared to Maple in my opinion. I wouldn't invest in it.
Maple's a better teaching; very user friendly.

Mathematica's got a steeper learning curve but is faster (and more robust) when mastered.

Matlab's good for coding test programs in (before optimising in C++ etc.)

If you can afford it, get the student versions when you can - they get a lot more expensive later on...

1. What is Mathematica and why should I invest in it?

Mathematica is a powerful software tool used for mathematical computations and data analysis. It includes a wide range of features such as symbolic and numerical calculations, visualization tools, and programming capabilities. Investing in Mathematica can greatly enhance your research and data analysis capabilities, making it a valuable tool for any scientist.

2. Is Mathematica user-friendly for non-mathematicians?

Yes, Mathematica is designed to be user-friendly for individuals without extensive mathematical knowledge. It has an intuitive interface and provides helpful documentation and tutorials for users to easily navigate and utilize its features.

3. How does Mathematica compare to other scientific software?

Mathematica is a comprehensive software that covers a wide range of scientific disciplines, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and finance. It also has a large and active community, providing support and resources for users. Compared to other scientific software, Mathematica offers a more efficient and integrated solution for various research and data analysis needs.

4. Can Mathematica handle large datasets?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of handling large datasets and performing complex calculations on them. It has built-in parallel processing capabilities, allowing for faster and more efficient computations. Additionally, Mathematica has a variety of data manipulation and visualization tools that can help scientists analyze and interpret large datasets.

5. Is investing in Mathematica worth the cost?

The cost of Mathematica may vary depending on the type of license and usage. However, many scientists find that the benefits and capabilities of Mathematica outweigh the cost. It can greatly improve research productivity and provide a valuable resource for data analysis and visualization, making it a worthwhile investment for many scientists.