Quick question on sign convention for Work in Columbs

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics homework problem involving calculating the force between two positive charges and the potential energy of a charge approaching another charge. The problem also involves understanding the relationship between voltage and electrical quantities and using the right hand rule to determine the direction of a force.
Alt+F4

Homework Statement

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/phys102/fall06/prep2a.pl?practice/exam1/fa06

Homework Equations

W =F*D

The Attempt at a Solution

I have it solved, now i thought - would be if i put work into the thing to move it but looking at it since both of them are postive charge they are gona wana repel each other to begin with so why is it not +

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/phys102/fall06/prep2a.pl?practice/exam1/sp06

Why am i stuck on 14 and 15

The equation that i would use would be F = Kq1Q2 / R^2 correct? and all it is is just plug and chug but i am not getting the answer

Alt+F4 said:
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/phys102/fall06/prep2a.pl?practice/exam1/sp06

Why am i stuck on 14 and 15

The equation that i would use would be F = Kq1Q2 / R^2 correct? and all it is is just plug and chug but i am not getting the answer

#14 has a variable force acting the whole time Q1 is approaching Q2. This is not a simple matter of finding one force. Fortunately, the problem has been stated in terms of energy, which is a big hint about how it should be approached. What happens to the potential energy of Q1 as it approaches Q2?

For #15 you need to think about the relationship between voltage across a capacitor and the electrical quantity that causes that voltage. What is the same for the three capacitors?

All right, can u explain this
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/phys102/fall06/prep2a.pl?practice/exam2/fa06

Question 15

I assumed it would be positve, so if i do right hand rule, i have force is up so Electric field would have to point down CorrecT? so why is it negative

Alt+F4 said:
All right, can u explain this
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/phys102/fall06/prep2a.pl?practice/exam2/fa06

Question 15

I assumed it would be positve, so if i do right hand rule, i have force is up so Electric field would have to point down CorrecT? so why is it negative

There is no electric field in the problem. The charge q does produce an electric field, but that field has nothng to do with the forces acting on q. You used the right hand rule correctly and found that the force on a positve charge would be upward at the position shown in the diagram. Clearly the force at that point must be downward, so the charge cannot be postive and must be negative.

1. What is the sign convention for work in Columbs?

The sign convention for work in Columbs is that work done by a conservative force is considered to be positive and work done by a non-conservative force is considered to be negative.

2. How is the sign convention for work in Columbs different from other conventions?

The sign convention for work in Columbs is different from other conventions because it is specific to electrical forces and takes into account the direction of the electric field.

3. Why is it important to understand the sign convention for work in Columbs?

It is important to understand the sign convention for work in Columbs because it allows us to properly calculate and understand the direction and magnitude of the work being done by electrical forces.

4. Can the sign convention for work in Columbs be applied to other types of forces?

No, the sign convention for work in Columbs is specific to electrical forces and cannot be applied to other types of forces. Each type of force has its own sign convention for work.

5. How does the sign convention for work in Columbs impact the calculation of electric potential energy?

The sign convention for work in Columbs impacts the calculation of electric potential energy because the work done by electrical forces is directly related to the change in electric potential energy. Understanding the sign convention allows us to properly determine the change in electric potential energy and its direction.