Indexed family? smart enuff 2b dumb enuff?

• Thread starter SqrachMasda
  • Start date
In summary: If the index set is well ordered, then one can write the "n+1" as "successor of n" and the "n" as "predecessor of n+1", and this can be understood as a recursion. If the index set is finite but not well ordered, then the recursion can be applied to the powerset of the index set. If the index set is infinite, then the recursion can be applied to some well ordered proper subset of the index set.In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and difficulty in understanding set theory and the notation used in it. The speaker expresses the need for a simpler explanation and relates it to the concept of summations and unions. They also mention their plan
SqrachMasda
this seems extremely confusing to me
so if anybody understands it they're a genius to me
if anybody can dumb it down and actually explain it to me, they're GOD

it was briefly introduced in my text on about half a page and was completely confusing
the only practice problem ended in an empty set {0} which made it no help
my professor breezed through it at the end of class but was also compared it with unions and intersections which the symbols look exactly the same when humans draw it

it was way too much with way to little information
i have always had a big problem grasping set theory and proofs with such
I think because there is so many symbols I have to remember but usually just get mixed up

so, if anybody can explain this in dumb terms and then maybe relate it again in the correct terms
i will place them in a whole other level of intelligence
even if it's not important, i have to understand why i can't understand it
the only thing i picked up on from class was instead of unions and intersections with 2 or 3 sets (which i pretty much understand) it is based on that with a lot or even infinite sets
but then why so many new symbols

i'm tearing my hair out because the limited information i have is no help

i been here before so i already expect the arrogant smart people will grunt at me on this :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know arithmetic, you can understand this.

"1 add 2" is written "1 + 2". Suppose you wish to add all the numbers from 1 to an unspecified integer N. You'd write that as 1 + ... + N. As a shorthand, you might say "sum of all k's from k=1 to k=N." Here, k denotes each number from 1 through N, taken consecutively. The standard notation for this is [itex]\sum_{k=1}^N k[/itex]. Think of the symbol [itex]\sum[/itex] as a large "plus" symbol. (Actually [itex]\sum[/itex] is the Greek letter Sigma corresponding to the Latin letter S, which is the first letter of the English word "Sum.")

Similarly for two sets S1 and S2, "S1 union S2" is written "S1 U S2." Suppose you wish to unionize all the sets from S1 to SN, where N is an unspecified integer (and each such set is being defined elsewhere). You'd write that as S1 U ... U SN. As a shorthand, you might say "union of all Sk from k=1 to k=N." Just like above, k denotes each number (index) from 1 through N, taken consecutively. The standard notation for this is [itex]\cup_{k=1}^N S_k[/itex].

Example 1: Let Sk={k}. Then [itex]\cup_{k=1}^N S_k[/itex] = {1, ..., N}.
Example 2: Let Sk={100}. Then [itex]\cup_{k=1}^N S_k[/itex] = {100}.

Last edited:
okay, i see how it is similar to summations...
gotta run to work
but i want to try and work out a problem from my text later tonite
if not maybe put it up here
because the notation they use is absurd to me

For me, the most intuitive way to understand these is from an inductive (recursive?) definition. Please excuse my notation:

Sigma(n=a->a)(f(x)) = f(a)
Sigma(n=a->b+1)(f(x)) = Sigma(n=a->b)(f(x)) + f(b+1)

Union(k=1->1)(S_k) = S_1
Union(k=1->n+1)(S_k) = Union(k=1->n)(S_k) U S_(n+1)

That only works if the index set is well ordered, and as written, actually a finite set.

1. What is an indexed family?

An indexed family is a collection of sets or objects, each of which is assigned a specific index. The index is typically a positive integer or a set of positive integers. This allows for easy identification and organization of the individual sets or objects within the family.

2. How is an indexed family different from a regular family?

An indexed family differs from a regular family in that each set or object within the family is assigned a specific index. This allows for a more organized and efficient way of referencing and manipulating the individual elements within the family.

3. What is the purpose of using an indexed family?

The purpose of using an indexed family is to easily access and manipulate individual sets or objects within a larger collection. It also allows for efficient indexing and organization of data, making it easier to perform calculations or comparisons between individual elements.

4. How is an indexed family represented or denoted?

An indexed family is usually denoted by a capital letter, such as A, followed by a subscript index, such as An. This notation helps to distinguish between the individual elements within the family and the family as a whole.

5. What are some real-life examples of indexed families?

Indexed families can be found in various fields of study, such as mathematics, computer science, and biology. Some real-life examples include a collection of numbered test tubes in a laboratory, a database of student grades indexed by their student ID numbers, or a family tree with each member assigned a specific generation number.