Phase shift using a series capacitor

In summary, the person is trying to split a single phase mains supply into two phases, with a 90 degree phase shift between them. They mention using two branches in parallel with a series capacitor and resistor, and question if the magnitudes of these components need to be the same. They also ask for help finding the required capacitance and rating for their specific mains supply and express concern about the phase shift being automatically set up by a capacitor. Another person suggests using a 1mfd mylar capacitor as a replacement for a 10k 2 watt resistor in a power supply, and mentions the need for a 3 phase supply for cost effectiveness.
JackFoligie
I have a single phase mains supply which I need to split it into two phases, then shift one of them by 90 degrees relative to the other (with peak values of both waveforms having the same magnitude).

I know this is generally done by two branches in parallel, with a series capacitor in one of the branches and a series resistor in the other. As I see it, the magnitude of the capacitive reactance (Xc) in the one branch and the resistance (R) in the other have to be the same if the magnitudes of the two waveforms are to be the same

i.e. |Xc| = | 1/(2*pi*freq*C) | = |R|

Is this a correct assumption?

I know that for this application, a paper capacitor is the best option. If my mains supply is 230V 50Hz, does anyone know how I go about finding the required series capacitance and it's rating? None of the textbooks I have access to explain this topic in any detail. Also, everything I've found seems to suggest that a capacitor automatically sets up a phase shift of 90 degrees (which may only be the case for an "ideal" capacitor). Any advice or suggested online resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this is an old thread, but I too want to do the same thing, the savings in reduced filter capacitance would be worth it.

it gets tricky when dealing with -j. The voltage drop across a resistor in series with the capacitor will see the phase shift voltage across the capacitor plus the supply voltage. So the voltage might be 400 volts rms across the resistor. And don't go thinking your gaining anything your'e not. The current is also phase shifted. So you can't follow P=(E*E)/R.

I use a 1mfd mylar capacitor to replace a 10k 2 watt resistor in my power supply's, only because of heat savings, in the supply. And that's at 60 Hz. Xc of a 1mfd @ 60 Hz is like -j 2,654 ohms. And I use a 630 VDC capacitor for 125 VAC mains for 240 VAC you need like 1600 VDC.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I too want to do the same thing, the savings in reduced filter capacitance would be worth it.

it gets tricky when dealing with -j. The voltage drop across a resistor in series with the capacitor will see the phase shift voltage across the capacitor plus the supply voltage. So the voltage might be 400 volts rms across the resistor. And don't go thinking your gaining anything your'e not. The current is also phase shifted. So you can't follow P=(E*E)/R.

I use a 1mfd mylar capacitor to replace a 10k 2 watt resistor in my power supply's, only because of heat savings, in the supply. And that's at 60 Hz. Xc of a 1mfd @ 60 Hz is like -j 2,654 ohms

I think it would be cost effective to get the electric company to run 3 phase to your'e location and run 3 supplies off of the each of the phase of 3 phase.

1. What is a phase shift?

A phase shift is a change in the timing or alignment of two or more waveforms. In the context of a series capacitor, it refers to the delay or advancement of the voltage or current waveform as it passes through the capacitor.

2. How does a series capacitor cause a phase shift?

A series capacitor acts as a high pass filter, meaning it allows high frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low frequency signals. This results in a change in the phase relationship between the input and output signals, causing a phase shift.

3. How is the amount of phase shift determined by a series capacitor?

The amount of phase shift caused by a series capacitor is determined by the frequency of the input signal and the value of the capacitor. Higher frequencies and larger capacitor values result in a larger phase shift.

4. Why is phase shift important in electronic circuits?

Phase shift is important in electronic circuits because it can affect the overall functionality and performance of the circuit. It can impact the accuracy and precision of signals and can also cause issues with timing and synchronization in complex circuits.

5. How can phase shift be controlled or adjusted in a series capacitor circuit?

The amount of phase shift in a series capacitor circuit can be controlled or adjusted by changing the frequency of the input signal or by changing the value of the capacitor. Using multiple capacitors in series or in parallel can also affect the amount of phase shift in a circuit.