Efficient Trigonometric Identity Solution for Finding tan x

• Thread starter teleport
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tan
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of tan x using trigonometric identities. The speaker has tried using various identities and has a solution that involves solving for sin(2x) or cos(2x) in a quadratic equation. However, another speaker suggests dividing both sides of the equation by cos(2x) to simplify the problem.
teleport

Homework Statement

Find tan x if

[tex]\dfrac {\sin^2 x}{3} + \dfrac {\cos^2 x}{7} = \dfrac {-\sin(2x) + 1}{10}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Trigonometric identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried removing the cos squared on the LHS by using

[tex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1 [/tex]

and then using

[tex] \sin^2 x = \dfrac {1 - \cos(2x)}{2} [/tex]

then using

[tex] \cos(2x) = (\cos x + \sin x)(\cos x - \sin x)[/tex]

Noticing the RHS equals

[tex](\sin x - \cos x)^2[/tex]

and factoring with what is now the LHS, would eventually give me an expression similar to

[tex] a\sin(2x) + b\cos(2x) = c [/tex]

where a,b,c are constants. If there is now a way to solve for any of sin(2x) or cos(2x), I can then get tan(2x) and hence, tanx.

This solution has been so long, that it all sounds very suspicious to me. I have a hunch there should be a much easier solution. Thanks for any help, but please, don't post a solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
teleport said:

Homework Statement

Find tan x if

[tex]\dfrac {\sin^2 x}{3} + \dfrac {\cos^2 x}{7} = \dfrac {-\sin(2x) + 1}{10}[/tex]

Your method looks okay. But if you are searching for a better one, you may consider dividing both sides by cos2(x), since it's trivial to see that cos(x) = 0 is not a solution to the equation.

It becomes:
[tex]\frac{\tan ^ 2 x}{3} + \frac{1}{7} = -2 \frac{\tan x}{10} + \frac{1}{10 \cos ^ 2 (x)}[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{\tan ^ 2 x}{3} + \frac{1}{7} = - \frac{\tan x}{5} + \frac{1}{10} \left( 1 + \tan ^ 2 x \right)[/tex]

Can you go from here? :) Hint: It's a quadratic.

Ouch! That hurts. I didn't even think of dividing by (cosx)^2, otherwise I would have seen it right away. It was right in my face all the time:eek:. If it were a shark, I would be ...

What is the formula for finding tan x?

The formula for finding tan x is tan x = sin x / cos x, where x represents the angle in radians.

How do I find the value of tan x?

To find the value of tan x, you can use a scientific calculator or look up the value in a trigonometric table. Alternatively, you can use the formula tan x = sin x / cos x if you know the values of sin x and cos x.

What are the values of tan x for common angles?

For common angles, such as 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°, the values of tan x are 0, 1/√3, 1, √3, and undefined, respectively. These values can be easily remembered using the acronym "SOHCAHTOA" (sin = opposite/hypotenuse, cos = adjacent/hypotenuse, tan = opposite/adjacent).

What is the range of values for tan x?

The range of values for tan x is all real numbers, except for x values of 90°, 270°, etc. In other words, tan x can take on any value between negative infinity and positive infinity, except when x is a multiple of 90°.

How is tan x used in real life?

Tan x is used in real life to solve problems involving triangles and angles, such as in navigation, engineering, and architecture. It is also used in physics and calculus to calculate slopes and rates of change.