Find the index of refraction

In summary, a convex lens with a radius of curvature of 30.0 cm and 40.0 cm, and a focal length of 34.2 cm, has an index of refraction of 1.54. This lens is made of crown glass. The index of refraction was found using the formula 1/f=(n-1)(1/R1+1/R2) and solving for n step by step.
AlanxD

Homework Statement

Suppose a convex lens is ground so that one surface has a radius of curvature of 30.0 cm and the opposing surface has a radius of curvature of 40.0 cm. The focal length is 34.2cm. What is the index of refraction of the lens? What kind of glass is the lens?

Homework Equations

Need help by using the formula
1/f=(n-1)(1/R1+1/R2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I knw R1=30 cm
R2=40 cm
f=34.2 cm
I can't finish finding n.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is meant by what type of glass is it? Is that supposed to mean if it is converging or diverging?

Like is it suppose to be crown glass, quartz, zircon, etc.
Can someone help solve the equation step by step and tell me what glass it is.

Well using the formula given I got Crown Glass for the lens. Did you plug in the knowns into the equation?

Ya i did but can u type it step by step i knw how to plug it in the equation but i dun got that number.

1/34.2=(n-1)(1/30 + 1/40)

.0313= (n-1)(.0333 + .0250)

.0313/.0583 = (n-1)

.537=n-1

n=1.54

Index of Refraction of Crown Glass 1.50-1.62

thanks alot.

What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

How is the index of refraction calculated?

The index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material. This can also be written as n = c/v, where n is the index of refraction, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the material.

What factors affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is affected by the density and composition of a material. Generally, materials with a higher density and a higher concentration of atoms will have a higher index of refraction. Temperature can also affect the index of refraction, as it can change the density of the material.

Why is the index of refraction important?

The index of refraction is important because it helps us understand how light behaves as it passes through different materials. It also plays a crucial role in many optical devices and technologies, such as lenses, prisms, and fiber optics.

Can the index of refraction be negative?

No, the index of refraction cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light. However, in some special cases, the index of refraction can be less than 1, which means that the speed of light in the material is faster than in a vacuum.