Can a Set be Well-Ordered Without the Axiom of Choice?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of six statements regarding the notion of "finite" sets, and the possibility of constructing a counterexample without the axiom of choice. It is also mentioned that every set has a total ordering, but this is under the assumption of the axiom of choice. The idea of constructing a total ordering for the class of all things is also brought up, but it is unclear if this is possible without the axiom of choice.
Dragonfall

Homework Statement

Show that if every total order of a set x is a well-order, then there is no bijection between x and [tex]x\cup\{ x\}[/tex] = Sx.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose there was, then you can have a total order on x and an induced total order on Sx. But this induced order on Sx is a total order on x. Something bad's supposed to happen here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Do you know of any examples of total orders that are not well-orders?

Yes, the usual order on the real numbers.

Okay, so you've proven that if every total order of a set x is a well-order, then x does not have the same cardinality as R. (right?)

We can't assume the axiom of infinity on this question (nor do we need to, apparently), so we can't assume that R exists, or even N, for that matter.

Basically the two conditions are equivalent to the fact that the set x is "finite". This question is actually part of a bigger question asking me to prove the equivalence of 6 statements, and this is the link in the chain that I can't prove.

I am certain I'm on the right track with the two total orders there, but I can't see a contradiction.

Here's the whole question. Prove the following are equivalent:

(a) Every injective function from x to x is surjective.
(b) There is no proper subset y of x in bijection with x.
(c) Every surjective function from x to x is injective.
(d) There is no proper superset y containing x in bijection with x.
(e) Every total order of x is a well order.
(f) There is no bjection between x and Sx = xU{x}.

Dragonfall said:
Basically the two conditions are equivalent to the fact that the set x is "finite".
This was my idea. Certainly, the thing you're trying to prove is an immediate consequence of this assertion.

The word "finite" and the phrase "well-order" suggest that induction might be useful.

By the way, is it obvious that every set has a total ordering?

Every set is in bijection with some cardinal. Every cardinal is an ordinal (under some models). Every ordinal is totally ordered by [tex]\in[/tex], so every set has a total ordering.

Whoops, I forgot to say 'without the axiom of choice'.

I was pondering the idea of trying to construct a counterexample; because condition (e) says "Every total order...", and you were assuming one existed, that prompted me to think about the case of a set x without any total orderings. Then, one of two things happen:
(1) The statement you are trying to prove is false.
(2) The set x is not bijective with Sx.

And so, I was mulling the possibility of having an infinite set x that is not bijective with Sx. Clearly this cannot happen if we assume axiom of choice, but I am not so familiar with the case where we reject the AoC, and I'm wondering if this is possible!

I don't think cardinality can be used as an argument, since Q is the same cardinality as N, but is not well-ordered.

I'm not familiar with set theory enough to say what you can't do without the axiom of choice. AC seems pretty intuitive to me.

I do have a side question: if the class of all things is in bijection with the class of all ordinals, then you can order the class of all things. What's wrong here?

What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for the rest of mathematics and is used to analyze and describe the properties of various mathematical structures.

What is a wellorder in set theory?

A wellorder, also known as a well-ordering or well-order relation, is a total order on a set in which every non-empty subset has a least element. This means that every element in the set can be compared and ordered in a unique way.

What is the significance of wellorders in set theory?

Wellorders are important in set theory because they provide a way to classify and compare different sets. They allow us to define the concept of a smallest element in a set, which is useful in many areas of mathematics.

Can a wellorder exist for an infinite set?

Yes, a wellorder can exist for an infinite set. In fact, there are many different wellorders that can be defined for an infinite set. One example is the wellorder on the set of natural numbers, where each number is smaller than the numbers that come after it.

What are some real-life applications of set theory and wellorders?

Set theory and wellorders have many real-life applications, including computer science, physics, and economics. For example, set theory is used in databases to organize and retrieve information, while wellorders are used in game theory to analyze strategic decision-making. They are also used in the study of topology and measure theory in physics and in the analysis of preferences and choices in economics.