Net Torque of Uniform Disk [SOLVED]

In summary, the net torque produced by the 90.0 N and 125 N forces on the uniform disk is 11.2 Nm in the counterclockwise direction. The magnitude of the angular acceleration of the disk is not mentioned in the given information.
whitesox
[SOLVED] Net torque of uniform disk

Homework Statement

A uniform disk with a mass of 34.8 kg and a radius of 0.32 m is free to rotate about a frictionless axle. Forces of 90.0 N and 125 N are applied to the disk, as the drawing indicates.

What is the net torque produced by the two forces?

Homework Equations

Torque = rFsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the equation above...125(0.32)sin90 - 90(0.32)sin90 = 11.2 N*m which is wrong. I know this question is trivial, but I'm pretty frustrated at this point...any help would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the information given is correct, I agree with you that the magnitude of the torque is 11.2 Nm. My physics text usually considered counterclockwise as positive, with clockwise as the negative direction, so I actually got -11.2Nm. This isn't the problem right? If not I would check that you have the correct information.

G01 said:
Assuming the information given is correct, I agree with you that the magnitude of the torque is 11.2 Nm. My physics text usually considered counterclockwise as positive, with clockwise as the negative direction, so I actually got -11.2Nm. This isn't the problem right? If not I would check that you have the correct information.

It's the correct information, and the answer is -11.2. Thanks.

Anytime!

What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the disk?

1. What is the formula for calculating the net torque of a uniform disk?

The formula for calculating the net torque of a uniform disk is T = I * α, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

2. How do I determine the moment of inertia for a uniform disk?

The moment of inertia for a uniform disk can be calculated using the formula I = ½ * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius.

3. What is the significance of the net torque of a uniform disk?

The net torque of a uniform disk is significant because it determines the rotational motion of the disk when a force is applied.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the net torque of a uniform disk?

The distribution of mass affects the net torque of a uniform disk as it determines the moment of inertia, which is a key factor in the calculation of net torque.

5. Can the net torque of a uniform disk be negative?

Yes, the net torque of a uniform disk can be negative. This indicates that the direction of rotation is in the opposite direction of the applied force.