Solving Hydrogen Atom Equations for l & a and Finding Energy]

In summary, the problem asks to find the values of l and a for which the function R(r) = Cexp[-r/a], where C and a are constants, is a solution of the radial equation for the hydrogen atom. The energy in terms of the rydberg constant and the magnitude of the angular momentum must be found, along with stating the spectrospic name of the electron. Substituting R(r) = u(r)/r leads to a comparison of coefficients, but leaves the columb term floating. The solution provided in the attachment has been corrected to use the correct form of R(r).
Eilerson

Homework Statement

Find the values of l and a for which the function R(r) = Cexp[-r/a], where C and a are constants, is a solution of the radial equation for the hydrogen atom.

Then find the energy in terms of the rydberg constant and the magnitude of the angular momentum. Finally state the spectrospic name (eg 1s) of the electron.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I substituted R(r) = u(r)/r and got to here (see attached). I assume I'm supposed to compare coefficients but this leaves me with the columb term floating there. Any hints?

[

Attachments

• working.jpg
    working.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Eilerson said:

Homework Statement

Find the values of l and a for which the function R(r) = Cexp[-r/a], where C and a are constants, is a solution of the radial equation for the hydrogen atom.

Then find the energy in terms of the rydberg constant and the magnitude of the angular momentum. Finally state the spectrospic name (eg 1s) of the electron.

Homework Equations

So I substituted R(r) = u(r)/r and got to here (see attached). I assume I'm supposed to compare coefficients but this leaves me with the columb term floating there. Any hints?

[

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I am confused. You say R = c e(-r/a) here but in your attachment you use r e^(-r/a).

In addition, in your attachment, if we use the R given there, u(r) should be r^2 e^(-r/a)

:confused:

Last edited:
Oops yeah, messed up at the start. I'll have another go and report back.

Eilerson said:
Oops yeah, messed up at the start. I'll have another go and report back.

I am sure it will work now.

This looks better.

Attachments

• working2.jpg
    working2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 375

1. What is the purpose of solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a and finding energy?

The purpose of solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a and finding energy is to understand the behavior and properties of the hydrogen atom. This knowledge is essential in various fields such as quantum mechanics, atomic physics, and chemistry.

2. What are the main equations used in solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a and finding energy?

The main equations used in solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a and finding energy are the Schrödinger equation, the Bohr model, and the energy equation. These equations are based on the principles of quantum mechanics and provide a mathematical description of the hydrogen atom.

3. How do you determine the values of l & a in the hydrogen atom equations?

The values of l & a in the hydrogen atom equations can be determined using the quantum numbers n, l, and m. The principal quantum number (n) represents the energy level of the electron, the orbital quantum number (l) represents the shape of the electron's orbit, and the magnetic quantum number (m) represents the orientation of the orbit.

4. What is the significance of finding the energy in solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a?

Finding the energy in solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a is crucial as it provides information about the energy levels and transitions of the electron in the hydrogen atom. This information is essential in understanding the spectral lines observed in the emission or absorption spectra of hydrogen.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a and finding energy?

Solving hydrogen atom equations for l & a and finding energy has many real-world applications. It is used in fields such as spectroscopy, laser technology, and quantum computing. Additionally, the principles and techniques used in solving these equations have been extended to other atoms and molecules, making it a fundamental tool in the study of matter and its interactions.