Help me out with electron configuration. :[

In summary, the atomic number indicates the number of electrons in an element's electron configuration. This information can be used to determine the element's location on the periodic table and the number of electrons in its outermost energy level.
TheLegend

Homework Statement

What is the atomic number if the electron config is 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p4.

Homework Equations

How do I solve for electron configurations using a periodic table?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have any, I am studying for a mid-term and this is all stuff I barely understood in the beginning of the year, and... well... Time makes fools of us all.

I'm not asking for a direct answer, in fact, I don't want that. I want to figure out what I'm missing (in terms of information) on how to tell the electron configuration based on either the electron configuration itself --> element or vice-versa.

Any help is very much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]1s^2[/tex]

what does 1 tell you? Think orbitals.

What does s tell you? Where would you find the s group?

what does 2 tell you? Think electrons, but which electrons?

Likes ARCHANASALANDRI
rocophysics said:
[tex]1s^2[/tex]

what does 1 tell you? Think orbitals.

What does s tell you? Where would you find the s group?

what does 2 tell you? Think electrons, but which electrons?

I know as far as to say that 1 is the energy level, s would be the sub-shell (spdf, 1357) and the ^2 would be the number of electrons within the sub shell.

But regardless, I don't know how to use that information and look at a periodic table and say, "That is..."

^2 would be the number of electrons within the sub shell.
--------------------------------------------------------
Exactly, so consider what info the atomic number gives in terms of electrons.

Lithium has an atomic number of 3, its config is 1s2 2s1, do you see the relationship?

1. What is electron configuration and why is it important?

Electron configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels or orbitals. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of atoms, including their reactivity and bonding capabilities.

2. How do you determine the electron configuration of an element?

The electron configuration of an element can be determined by using the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy. This can be visualized using the periodic table and following the specific rules for filling orbitals.

3. Why are there exceptions to the expected electron configurations of certain elements?

Exceptions to electron configurations occur due to the stability of half-filled and fully-filled orbitals. In some cases, it is more energetically favorable for an electron to move from one orbital to another, resulting in a different configuration than expected.

4. Can the electron configuration of an atom change?

Yes, the electron configuration of an atom can change under certain conditions such as when it undergoes a chemical reaction or when it is in an excited state. However, the number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals remain the same in its ground state.

5. How does electron configuration relate to an element's position on the periodic table?

The electron configuration of an element is directly related to its position on the periodic table. Elements in the same group or column have the same number of valence electrons and similar electron configurations. Additionally, elements in the same period or row have the same number of energy levels and follow a similar pattern in their electron configurations.