Trying to understand Magnetic Braking

In summary, when a magnet is moved across the surface of a conductive non-magnetic metal like aluminum or copper, it creates magnetic eddies that result in resistance. This resistance is caused by Lenz's Law and is felt as a force when moving the magnet. This force is converted into heat, as the electrons in the metal try to flow but are blocked by the presence of other electrons. If the metal is insulated, the heat will continue to build up as there is no outlet for the current to flow. This process is similar to that of an electrical generator.
JonathanS
I understand that it happens when you move a magnet across the surface of a conductive non-magnetic metal like aluminum or copper because of magnetic eddies explained by Lenz's Law.

What I don't understand is where the energy of the momentum is going. If I were pushing a magnet across an aluminum sheet then where does my effort go when I'm feeling the resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's CURRENTly a very HOT question.:rolleyes:

So you're saying that it creates an electrical current and generates heat right?

It's kind of like a flat electrical generator right?

If the aluminum plate was insulated then the current would have nowhere to go. Would it then just create heat? Wouldn't it need electrical current flowing through it so that the natural resistance of the metal would create heat?

Ok, so it definitely creates heat instead of electricity if it's insulated. So the heat comes from the "friction" of the electrons trying to go somewhere but can't because of the other electrons that are already there?

1. What is magnetic braking?

Magnetic braking is a process in which a magnetic field exerts a force on a moving conductor, causing it to slow down and lose kinetic energy.

2. How does magnetic braking work?

Magnetic braking works based on the principle of electromagnetic induction. As a conductor moves through a magnetic field, it cuts through the magnetic lines of force, creating a current within the conductor that opposes the motion and slows it down.

3. What is the significance of magnetic braking?

Magnetic braking is important in many technological applications, such as in generators and electric motors, where it is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also crucial in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies, such as stars and planets.

4. What factors affect magnetic braking?

The strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of motion are all factors that can affect the magnitude of magnetic braking. Additionally, the properties of the conductor, such as its conductivity and shape, can also impact the amount of braking that occurs.

5. Can magnetic braking be used to generate electricity?

Yes, magnetic braking is commonly used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. As the conductor experiences resistance from the magnetic field, it creates an electric current, which can then be harnessed for various purposes.