Intellectual Highs: Experiencing the Feeling of Motivation to Study

• Thread starter maks4
  • Start date
In summary, it sounds like some people get into a "zone" where they understand things better than usual.
maks4
I'm wondering how many of you have, or are able to have intellectural/mental highs where your mind/brain feels like it's just running through the work and understanding it quicker...where you know the work a lot easier and you just have a deep feeling where you can't stop studying and reading...does anyone get what I'm saying?

I'm wondering how some of you go about to get into those 'state of mind' mode? I use to get them a lot, but i think because I've lost a bit of motivation to study, i haven't experienced one in some time.

Physics news on Phys.org
i get sleep before I work, and work in the early morning. No TV, no fatigue, just me and the material

i think its called being "in the zone"

AFG34 said:
i think its called being "in the zone"

Or "the flow".

Am, usually try and avoid fatigue, tv etc, but the thing that annoys me most is that it occurs mainly at night when it's dark or rainy and never really when its bright/sunny...[Hence I thrive in the winter, usually Jan] guess I'm just not motivated enough.

Random insights and just plain motivation is usually what gets me into the "zone."

I mean, it's no mystery if you can't get in the zone from not wanting to work. You have to have some sort of interest to even think about what you're trying to do, whether the reason for the interest is bad or good.

This high or zoning-in is the same thing (or similar) as what happens with productive physical exercise like jogging or weight-training, especially when you are progressing well or performing well, even if slowly.

Yeah that's it 'in the zone'. Like someone said, when you're performing well, you just really get into it. Especially with sports...i use to run a lot and i know i'd just really get into it sometimes and not notice anything else around me.

What about sudden moments of 'realising' something where suddenly it all makes sense...like once i was out with friends at a cafe, we were laughing about something and suddenly i had this 'in the zone' type feeling where i was imagining all these different shapes relating them to maths and having a sense of complete understanding...but shortly after it 'went away' does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Typical transitions...

@ malty

I too am only in the "zone" at night and not during the day or in the morning.

hey man, what was the question? ... do intellectuals get high?

Sometimes I get into the mode for a week or so, where I'm just focused on learning, and manage to sock in 16-hour days every weekday. Going into school at 7:30-8, and leaving at 11:30-12 at night.

The strange thing about it is that when you work so hard all week, you lose all focus on the weekends, and have no interest in studying. Maybe it's a human's natural way setting aside certain time for study, certain time for rest.

mathwonk said:
No;) not that type of high; high on study! :)

carstensentyl said:
Sometimes I get into the mode for a week or so, where I'm just focused on learning, and manage to sock in 16-hour days every weekday. Going into school at 7:30-8, and leaving at 11:30-12 at night.

The strange thing about it is that when you work so hard all week, you lose all focus on the weekends, and have no interest in studying. Maybe it's a human's natural way setting aside certain time for study, certain time for rest.
It sounds like it!

maks4 said:
I'm wondering how many of you have, or are able to have intellectural/mental highs where your mind/brain feels like it's just running through the work and understanding it quicker...where you know the work a lot easier and you just have a deep feeling where you can't stop studying and reading...does anyone get what I'm saying?

I'm wondering how some of you go about to get into those 'state of mind' mode? I use to get them a lot, but i think because I've lost a bit of motivation to study, i haven't experienced one in some time.

That's called being in the zone. It happens sometimes, it's natural but don't do too much, or you'll end up with the tennis elbow of the nerd world, too much working at high speed leads to burn out.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
That's called being in the zone. It happens sometimes, it's natural but don't do too much, or you'll end up with the tennis elbow of the nerd world, too much working at high speed leads to burn out.
Good point there. Good thing for me i guess it doesn't happen as often.

I usually get that feeling late at night. Right before I go to bed. It's annoying as hell, because I'm just most productive at night, but I have to get a full night's sleep. The Suck.

Yeah, sometimes thinking about things I've never been taught, and Ill suddenly connect it to something I have been taught. Thermodynamics or little maths errors people make is the typical.

mathwonk said:

like Carl Sagan or what? ;)

1. What are intellectual highs?

Intellectual highs refer to a feeling of motivation and excitement that individuals experience when they engage in intellectual activities, such as studying, learning, or problem-solving.

2. How do intellectual highs benefit the brain?

Intellectual highs can benefit the brain in several ways. They can improve focus, memory, and cognitive function. They can also stimulate the release of dopamine and other neurotransmitters that enhance learning and motivation.

3. What causes intellectual highs?

Intellectual highs can be caused by a combination of factors, including interest in the subject matter, a challenging task, and a sense of accomplishment. They can also be influenced by external factors, such as environmental cues and social interactions.

4. Can intellectual highs be sustained?

Yes, intellectual highs can be sustained through consistent engagement in intellectual activities and maintaining a positive attitude towards learning. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

5. How can one achieve intellectual highs?

One can achieve intellectual highs by finding a balance between challenging and achievable tasks, setting clear goals, and maintaining a positive mindset. It is also helpful to surround oneself with supportive and intellectually stimulating environments and individuals.