Latex Bibliography Without Title

In summary, the conversation discusses how to omit the title "References" in a LaTeX bibliography. The solution is to either find a bibliography style file that does not include the title or to use the command \renewcommand{\bibname}{}. The conversation also mentions potential issues with this solution and suggests using \vspace{-11mm} before the bibliography to adjust the spacing.
NeoDevin
[SOLVED] Latex Bibliography

Whenever I create a bibliography in latex using

Code:
\bibliographystyle{plain}

\begin{thebibliography}{1}

\bibitem{Reference 1}Details about Reference 1

\bibitem{Reference 2}Details about Reference 2

\end{thebibliography}

It puts the title `References' above it. Does anyone know how to make it omit the title?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
72 views and nobody knows how to do it? I figured it was probably somthing simple.

Presumably the solution is to find a bibliography style file that does not write out "Reference".
The only other option is to start redefining various parameters, but that is usually extremely messy so it is not something I would recommend.

Latex is only simple as long as you follow the "templates" (sty-files etc), really customizing the appearance of your documents can be quite a daunting task.

You can just put \renewcommand{\bibname}{} into your preamble, although because that's just renaming the title to be nothing, you get quite a bit of white space above your references which I'm not sure how you could get rid of, although it is a crude way to achieve what you want.

Thanks, I'll play with that, and maybe some negative vertical space to fix it up.

It didn't work, it told me

Error: ! LaTeX Error: \bibname undefined.

Oh are you writing an article as opposed to a report/book?
Try \renewcommand{\refname}{}

Perfect, thanks. Using

\renewcommand{\refname}{}

and then

\vspace{-11mm}

before the bibliography seems to be about perfect.

Thanks so much.

1. What is a "Latex Bibliography Without Title"?

A "Latex Bibliography Without Title" refers to a list of cited sources at the end of a Latex document, but without a separate title or heading for the bibliography section.

2. How do I create a "Latex Bibliography Without Title"?

To create a "Latex Bibliography Without Title", you first need to add the necessary packages and commands in the preamble of your document. Then, use the \bibliography{} command to specify the bibliography file and the \bibliographystyle{} command to choose the citation style. Finally, use the \cite{} command to add citations within the document and the \printbibliography command at the end to generate the bibliography without a title.

3. Can I customize the formatting of my "Latex Bibliography Without Title"?

Yes, you can customize the formatting of your "Latex Bibliography Without Title" by choosing a different citation style using the \bibliographystyle{} command, or by adjusting the spacing and indentation using the \setlength{} command.

4. What is the difference between a "Latex Bibliography Without Title" and a "Latex Bibliography with Title"?

The main difference between a "Latex Bibliography Without Title" and a "Latex Bibliography with Title" is that the latter includes a separate heading or title for the bibliography section, while the former does not. Additionally, the formatting and spacing may differ between the two depending on the chosen citation style and customization options.

5. Can I add a title to my "Latex Bibliography Without Title" after it has been generated?

Yes, you can add a title to your "Latex Bibliography Without Title" after it has been generated by using the \section{} or \subsection{} command, depending on the desired level of heading. However, it is recommended to specify a title in the \printbibliography command when generating the bibliography to maintain consistent formatting.