How Does Temperature Gradient Affect Refractive Index in Fluid Thermodynamics?

In summary, this expert summarizer found that it is possible to make a GRIN lens by heating a fluid, and that it depends on the magnitude of refractive index change and convection that arises when inducing a thermal gradient.
Relena
Does anyone have an idea about a formula relating the refractive index of a medium
to the temperature gradient (Generally)?

Science news on Phys.org
There's a few formulas out there- the temperature affects the density, which affects the refractive index:

http://pirika.com/chem/TCPEE/RI/ourRI.htm

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0022-3727/20/4/019

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1151-2916.1955.tb14581.x?cookieSet=1&journalCode=jace

That was enlightening ..

but after reading the Lorentz-Lorenz equation I became more confused due to the factor called "molar refractivity"
and it's equal to the volume occupied by one mole of a substance.
A=RT(n[tex]^{2}[/tex]-1)/3P
Isn't the volume varying due to temperature? ,then the molar refractivity changes with temperature, and the refractive index would be affected only if we considered the ratio between temperature and pressure to remain constant??

I don't know if this is right (because mirage occurs) .
but how can a slight temperature gradient (about 5[tex]^{o}[/tex]C/m) to cause this deviation in the path of light??

Well...
I know it takes a long distance for light to be totally reflected..

But in asphalt mirage you can see the reflection of a car on the road .
It doesn't take so long for light ... however it depends more on the sharpness of the gradient refractive index ( and subsequently the temperature gradient).. however the refractive index of air doesn't vary so much .. but it depends also on the distance in which the refractive index changed.

This simply makes a question: What is the minimum distance between you and the image that undergoes mirage.. to observe it's reflection clearly?
(of course DEPENDENT on temperature)

OK it seems that my question isn't clear??
one of the uses of gradient refractive index is making lenses (see the article)

so am I wrong if I thought we can make such a lens from a fluid (ex: air)
such that the gradient refractive index is nearly the same?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient-index_optics

In principle, yes it is possible to make a GRIN lens by heating a fluid.

Is it feasible in practice though? Well that depends on the magnitude of refractive index change you can get at a reasonable temperature (i.e. the dn/dT of the fluid). You would also need to manage the convection that inevitably arises when inducing a thermal gradient in a fluid.

In response to your previous post (post #5), the limitation on viewing mirages is not distance per se, it is viewing angle (which could be phrased as a distance limit for some given viewing height).

Claude.

thanx that's what I wanted to know .

I'm now trying to find a mathematical model relating the refractive index to the temperature gradient.
thus study the effect of fluid thermodynamics on light

What is gradient refractive index?

Gradient refractive index is a phenomenon where the refractive index of a material changes gradually from the surface to the core. This results in the bending of light rays as they pass through the material, causing optical effects such as lensing and dispersion.

How is gradient refractive index different from regular refractive index?

The main difference between gradient refractive index and regular refractive index is that the latter remains constant throughout the material, while the former changes gradually. This allows for more precise control over the path of light rays passing through the material.

What are the applications of gradient refractive index?

Gradient refractive index has various applications in optics, including the production of gradient index lenses, waveguides, and optical fibers. It is also used in the development of advanced optical devices such as gradient index metamaterials.

How is gradient refractive index measured?

Gradient refractive index is measured using various techniques, such as refractometry, interferometry, and ellipsometry. These methods involve measuring the change in the direction or intensity of light passing through the material and using mathematical calculations to determine the refractive index gradient.

What materials exhibit gradient refractive index?

Gradient refractive index can be observed in a variety of materials, including glass, crystals, polymers, and even biological tissues. It is a naturally occurring phenomenon in some materials, while in others, it can be engineered through the use of specialized manufacturing techniques.