Solving Two Speaker Intensity Problem: f1, f2, f3

In summary, the problem involves two speakers, S1 and S2, adjusted so that an observer at O hears an intensity of 4 W/m2 when either speaker is sounded alone. The speed of sound is 325 m/s and the speakers are driven in phase. The task is to find the three lowest frequencies, f1 < f2 < f3, for which the observer at O will hear an intensity of 16 W/m2 when both speakers are on. The solution involves finding the path length difference of 1m between the two speakers and using this to determine the wavelengths that can fit within this distance. These wavelengths correspond to the lowest frequencies that will produce constructive interference and result in an intensity of 16 W/m2
amatol

Homework Statement

https://tycho-s.phys.washington.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys123/spring08/homework/01b/twospeaker_INT/02.05.gif
(if image doesn't show up...it is a right angle triangle with S1 at the right angle, 4m between it and O and 3m between S1 and S2)

The two speakers at S1 and S2 are adjusted so that the observer at O hears an intensity of 4 W/m2 when either S1 or S2 is sounded alone. They are driven in phase (at the speakers) with various frequencies of sound. Assume that the speed of sound is 325 m/s.

a) Find the three lowest frequencies, f1 < f2 < f3, for which the observer at O will hear an intensity of 16 W/m2 when both speakers are on.

b) Find the three lowest frequencies, f1 < f2 < f3 , for which the observer at O will hear no sound when both speakers are on.

c) Find the lowest frequency for which the observer at O will hear an intensity of 8 W/m2 when both speakers are on.

d) Find the lowest frequency for which the observer at O will hear an intensity of 4 W/m2 when both speakers are on.

Homework Equations

I think these...
f=v/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
Intensity= energy/tA
I also need to figure out the phase difference but not sure what formula

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I know that I need to find the path length difference between the two speakers to the observer...which is 1m. From that I need to find the phase difference which will give me the intensity. How to do this I am clueless on. Then I need to find the wave length from the difference between the two and from that I can find the frequency. (at least this is what I am thinking...but its not working! and I can't figure out the phase difference)

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a): You are looking for constructive interference when the path length difference is 1 m. You don't need the relative phase of the interfering waves. All you need to know is that you get constructive interference when you can fit an integer of wavelengths within the path length difference. So in 1 meter the longest wavelength will be 1 m, then comes 1/2 m, then 1/3 m and so on. Can you find the corresponding frequencies? Do part (a) and then we'll worry about the other parts.

1. What is the "Solving Two Speaker Intensity Problem"?

The Solving Two Speaker Intensity Problem is a problem in acoustics where two speakers, each emitting a different frequency (f1 and f2), are placed at a certain distance from each other. The goal is to determine the intensity of the combined sound waves at a specific point (f3) between the two speakers.

2. Why is the Solving Two Speaker Intensity Problem important?

This problem is important for understanding how sound waves interact with each other. By solving this problem, we can gain a better understanding of how multiple sounds can be perceived and how they can be used in various applications, such as in music or in noise-cancelling technology.

3. What factors affect the intensity of the combined sound waves?

The intensity of the combined sound waves is affected by several factors, including the distance between the speakers, the frequencies of the individual speakers, and the direction and angle of the speakers in relation to the point of interest.

4. How is the Solving Two Speaker Intensity Problem solved?

The problem is solved using mathematical equations, such as the superposition principle and the inverse square law, which take into account the factors mentioned above. These equations can be solved using computer programs or by hand calculations.

5. What are the practical applications of solving the Solving Two Speaker Intensity Problem?

Understanding the Solving Two Speaker Intensity Problem has practical applications in various fields, such as audio engineering, room acoustics, and noise control. It can also be used to design and optimize sound systems, create immersive sound experiences, and improve the overall quality of sound in different environments.