Solving Cathode Ray Tube Homework with Mass, Speed & Magnetic Field

In summary, a positively charged particle with a mass of 7.2 * 10^-8kg and a speed of 85 m/s enters a 0.31 T uniform magnetic field and exits one-quarter south with the same speed after 2.2 * 10^-3 seconds. The equations used for this problem are Fc=Fm, mv^2/r=qvB, and Fm=qvB. To find the charge of the particle and the magnetic force, it is necessary to calculate the period for a complete circular orbit using the given time and then use this to find the radius. From there, the charge and magnetic force can be solved for using the equations.
soul5

Homework Statement

A positively charged particle of mass 7.2 * 10^-8kg is traveling east with speed of 85 m/s. The particle enters a 0.31 T uniform magnetic field, and 2.2 * 10^-3 secounds later leaves the field one-quarter south with speed of 85 m/s. What is the charge of the particle and magnetic force?

Homework Equations

Fc=Fm

mv^2/r=qvB

Fm=qvB

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried but I don't have radius and charge what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think because they give you a time here you can calculate the period for what would be a complete circular orbit, and then extrapolate the radius. From there, I think you should be able to solve it.

I understand that the equations used in this problem involve mass, speed, and magnetic field, but not radius. It is possible that the radius of the particle's path was not given in the problem, or it may not be relevant to the solution. To solve for the charge of the particle, we can rearrange the equation Fm=qvB to solve for q. We can also use the equation Fc=mv^2/r to solve for the radius, if needed. However, based on the given information, it seems that the charge of the particle is not necessary to solve for the magnetic force. We can use the equation Fm=qvB to solve for the magnetic force, since we have values for the mass, speed, and magnetic field. It is also important to note that the magnetic force does not depend on the charge of the particle, only on its velocity and the strength of the magnetic field. Therefore, the charge of the particle may not be relevant to this specific problem.

What is a cathode ray tube?

A cathode ray tube (CRT) is a vacuum tube that uses an electron beam to create images on a phosphorescent screen. It was commonly used in older televisions and computer monitors.

How do mass, speed, and magnetic field affect the movement of electrons in a CRT?

The mass of the electron affects how much force is required to move it, while the speed of the electron determines the rate of movement. The magnetic field controls the direction of the electron's movement.

Why is it important to understand the principles of mass, speed, and magnetic field when working with CRTs?

Understanding these principles allows us to control the movement of electrons in a CRT, which is crucial for creating images on the screen. It also helps us troubleshoot any issues that may arise with the CRT.

What are some common equations used in solving cathode ray tube homework?

Some common equations used are the force equation (F=qvB), the acceleration equation (a=qvB/m), and the velocity equation (v=√(2qV/m)). These equations relate the mass, speed, and magnetic field to the force and acceleration of the electron in the CRT.

Can the principles of mass, speed, and magnetic field be applied in other areas of science?

Yes, these principles are fundamental to understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields, and can be applied in a variety of fields such as particle physics, electromagnetism, and engineering.