Is this really a module?

• Thread starter Office_Shredder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    module
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a permutation module M=KW, where K is a field with finite characteristic p, G is a finite group, and W is a set that G acts on transitively. There is confusion about the definition of KW and the intended ring for multiplication. It is clarified that KW is the KG-module obtained by letting G act on the set of formal linear combinations of elements of W with coefficients in K. The confusion arises because G is not a ring, but KG is.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

K is a field with finite characteristic p, G is a finite group, and W is a set that G acts on transitively (so for all x,y in W, there exists g s.t. gx=y). It then says consider M=KW the permutation module.

What is KW supposed to mean? I know for a group G that KG is the group algebra, but we don't know that W is a group (in fact, it probably isn't). Furthermore, what ring is intended to be used for multiplication? I'm confused out of my mind. I've looked back in my lecture notes so far but haven't seen anything to resolve the issue

The Attempt at a Solution

Asking here

Physics news on Phys.org
I think in this setting the permutation module is the KG-module you obtain by letting G act on KW = set of formal linear combinations of elements of W with coefficients in K (which is basically the free K-module generated by W).

But G isn't a ring. Unless we just use formal addition in G to make it one?

G isn't; KG is.

This sort of stuff comes up when you talk about things like "G-modules". See http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/GModule.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I misunderstood what you wrote originally. That makes sense now

1. Is a module the same as a component?

No, a module and a component are not the same. While both are building blocks of a larger system, a module is a self-contained unit that performs a specific function, whereas a component is a reusable piece of code that can be integrated into different systems.

2. How do modules differ from libraries?

Modules and libraries are similar in that they both contain a set of functions or code that can be used in a larger system. However, modules are typically smaller and more specific in their purpose, while libraries are larger and often contain multiple modules.

3. Can modules be used in different programming languages?

Yes, modules can be used in different programming languages as long as they are compatible. Some modules may be designed for specific languages, but many are designed to be cross-platform and can be used in multiple programming languages.

4. How are modules different from plugins?

Modules and plugins are both used to extend the functionality of a larger system. However, modules are often more integral to the system and are typically designed to work with specific components, while plugins are more optional and can be added or removed without affecting the core functionality.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using modules?

While modules can provide many benefits, such as code reusability and maintainability, there are also potential drawbacks. Depending on the system architecture, modules may introduce additional complexity and may require extra resources to manage and maintain. Additionally, if a module is not well-designed or maintained, it may cause errors or compatibility issues with the larger system.