Revolutions of and Electric Drill

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the number of turns made by a variable speed electric drill motor, which was uniformly accelerated from 100 rev/s to 210 rev/s at a rate of 53.0 rev/s^2. The solution involved using the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax, where V represents angular velocity, a represents acceleration, and x represents angular displacement. The correct answer was found to be 15,700 rev.
uno
1. A variable speed electric drill motor turning at 100 rev/s is uniformly accelerated at 53.0 rev/s2 up to 210 rev/s. How many turns does it make in the process?

2. (Accel f - Accel) i x speed

3. I took 210 - 53 = 157 and multiplied that by 100 and that gave me 15,700 rev. This anser is incorrect. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Data we have: Initial angular velocity, acceleration, final angular velocity. We want angular displacement.

This problem is the rotational analogue of one we would use the for the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax.

Replace V with angular velocity, a with acceleration and solve for x. Since we are working in units of rev, no division by 2*pi will be necessary - the answer your calculator gives you will be the answer you want.

I got it! Thanks so much for your help.

1. How does an electric drill work?

An electric drill works by using an electric motor to rotate a bit at high speeds, which allows it to create holes or drive screws into surfaces. The motor is powered by electricity from a power source and is controlled by a trigger or switch. The rotation of the bit is created by the interaction of magnetic fields within the motor, which causes the motor to spin.

2. What is the difference between a corded and cordless electric drill?

A corded electric drill is powered by a cord that must be plugged into an electrical outlet, while a cordless electric drill has a rechargeable battery that powers the motor. Cordless drills provide more mobility and flexibility, but corded drills generally have more power and can run for longer periods of time without needing to be recharged.

3. How do I choose the right drill bit for my project?

The type of drill bit you need depends on the material you are drilling into. For wood, a standard twist bit is usually sufficient, while for metal you may need a specialized metal bit. For masonry, a masonry bit is necessary. It is also important to consider the size and shape of the hole you need to create when choosing a drill bit.

4. How do I maintain and care for my electric drill?

To maintain your electric drill, make sure to clean it after each use to remove any dust or debris. You should also regularly check the condition of the power cord and replace it if there are any signs of damage. Keep the drill in a dry, cool place and avoid using it in wet or damp conditions. It is also important to regularly check and replace the drill bits as needed.

5. What safety precautions should I take when using an electric drill?

When using an electric drill, always wear appropriate safety gear such as safety glasses and gloves. Make sure the drill is turned off and unplugged before changing or adjusting the drill bit. Hold the drill firmly with both hands and keep long hair and loose clothing away from the drill. Additionally, always read and follow the safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.