Distance between copper atoms in cubic crystal lattice

In summary, the question is asking about the atomic mass number of copper and how it relates to the mass of a given volume of copper. The professor suggests using the atomic mass number to determine the mass and then computing the number of atoms in that volume. This can then be used in the ideal-gas law formulas to solve the problem. However, the student is having difficulty understanding how to apply this concept and is looking for additional resources for clarification.
Mugen112

Homework Statement

The atomic mass number of copper is A = 64. Assume that atoms in solid copper form a cubic crystal lattice. To envision this, imagine that you place atoms at the centers of tiny sugar cubes, then stack the little sugar cubes to form a big cube. If you dissolve the sugar, the atoms left behind are in a cubic crystal lattice.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is coming from the chapter dealing with Ideal-Gas laws. Also talks about moles and atomic mass numbers/atomic numbers, but I don't see how I can use the Ideal-gas laws (Boltzmann's constant) with a copper atom. I also don't see how knowing the atomic mass number even plays a roll in solving this problem... any help? I would honestly attempt the solution if I knew where to even start.

Physics news on Phys.org
wow.. I've never been so stressed over homework. I want to break something =( . Anyway.. I emailed my prof... his response " You can use the atomic mass number to determine the mass of any given volume of copper. Once you do that, you can compute the number of atoms in that volume and then go on just like the example in the book."

So how do I use the atomic mass number which is the number of protons and number of neutrons in an atom to find a mass of any given volume of copper? Then I'm supposed to use "THAT" volume and go on like the example in the book that the ideal-law formulas are used? Are you kidding me? This makes NO sense. :( Is there any where else online I can read into this? Our book does a poor job of this...

I don't want to bring up an old topic, but I can't figure this problem out either, I know the answer is .228 nm, and have been substituting all the basic equations for an hour and the best i can come up with is V = l^3 when the number density is 1.

What is the distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice?

The distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice is approximately 0.256 nanometers (nm).

How is the distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice determined?

The distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice is determined through various experimental techniques such as X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy.

Does the distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice vary?

Yes, the distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of crystal structure.

Why is the distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice important?

The distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice is important because it affects the physical and chemical properties of the material. It can also provide valuable information about the crystal structure and bonding between atoms.

Can the distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice be changed?

Yes, the distance between copper atoms in a cubic crystal lattice can be changed by altering the conditions under which the crystal is formed, such as changing the temperature or applying pressure. It can also be changed by doping the crystal with other elements.