Calculate Electric Field in Medium

In summary, calculating the electric field in a medium involves using the permittivity of the material and the charge distribution to determine the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point. This can be done using Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, or by using the electric potential and its gradient. The electric field in a medium can also be affected by the presence of dielectric materials, which can increase or decrease the strength of the field. Understanding how to calculate the electric field in a medium is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as electronics, electromagnetism, and materials research.
apalmer3
Hello all! I'm studying for my final, and I'm trying to figure out my teacher's method for the following problem. Could you help me out?

A plane wave is propagating in free space with a frequency of 10 GHz. The amplitude of the electric field in the x-direction is Ex = 2 V m-1.
(ii) Find the magnitude of electric and magnetic field if the plane wave is transmitted through a medium with relative permittivity .

She then goes on to say that you simply need to find the impedance of the material and set H=E/impedance. I realize that this is a true ratio, but shouldn't we have to calculate to magnitude of E in the medium? She uses the value of E in free space, which I think is wrong.

Her answers: E=2 V/m H=11.86 mA/m

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
apalmer3 said:
Hello all! I'm studying for my final, and I'm trying to figure out my teacher's method for the following problem. Could you help me out?

A plane wave is propagating in free space with a frequency of 10 GHz. The amplitude of the electric field in the x-direction is Ex = 2 V m-1.
(ii) Find the magnitude of electric and magnetic field if the plane wave is transmitted through a medium with relative permittivity .

relative permittivity... what? was there supposed to be a number after the word "permittivity" and before the period?

She then goes on to say that you simply need to find the impedance of the material and set H=E/impedance. I realize that this is a true ratio, but shouldn't we have to calculate to magnitude of E in the medium? She uses the value of E in free space, which I think is wrong.

Her answers: E=2 V/m H=11.86 mA/m

Thanks in advance!

I really hope there was more to the question than what you typed- as it stands, it's awful.

First, I wonder if the instructor is being cute- the *electric* field in a medium is the same as the electric field in empty space: it is the *displacement* field that is different in matter.

as for the magnetic field, here's how to get there: the magnitude of the magnetic induction B is E/c (c is the speed of light), and the permeability is found from the relationship between the permittivity, permeability, and c:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/elefie.html

I didn't run the number to see if that's correct. I bet writing all that down analytically, many extraneous factors cancel which will simplify the calculation.

What is the definition of electric field in a medium?

The electric field in a medium is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle in that medium. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the medium.

How is the electric field in a medium calculated?

The electric field in a medium can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

What factors affect the electric field in a medium?

The electric field in a medium is affected by the magnitude and distribution of charges in the medium, the distance between the charges, and the properties of the medium such as its dielectric constant.

Can the electric field in a medium be negative?

Yes, the electric field in a medium can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the force on a positive test charge would be opposite to the direction of the electric field.

Is the electric field in a medium uniform?

The electric field in a medium can be uniform in certain situations, such as in a parallel plate capacitor. However, in most cases it will vary in magnitude and direction depending on the distribution of charges in the medium.