Proving High School Maths Theory: A Beginner's Journey

In summary: That is: 125+64-27 = 162, so [(162-5), (162+5)].I'll take your word for it, but I think the problem is supposed to be the sum of cubes of nonnegative integers. At least that's the way I took it. Is it Noo? In which case there is an exception.Yes, you're right. If the problem is about nonnegative integers, then there is a small exception :smile:Proving something like that would be extremely difficult. You'd better pin your hopes on finding a fairly easy counterexample. There is one. Start expressing small numbers as the sum of cubes and you should find it pretty quickly.I took your advise and have checked
Noo
I'm studying pure maths/numb theory for the first time (independantly, and from a shallow, brief-ish book with no given solutions, so i have no one else to ask :P ). I just started a day or two ago. The book leaves Induction till a little later, so this should be proved directly, or maybe by contradiction - and only with basic high-school maths.

Even to my novice eyes this problem seems very simple, not simple enough for me, yet, though.

[tex]\forall n \in Z, \exists a,b,...,h \in Z[/tex] such that [tex]n = a^{3}+b^{3}+. . .+h^{3}[/tex]

I must either prove the above is true, or prove that its negation is true.

I'm not sure where to start, and haven't been for 1 or 2 other problems (such as proving 'a^3 -a' is always divisible by 6). I have been thinking of something along the lines of;

Showing [tex]\sqrt[3]{a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}+d^{3}+e^{3}+f^{3}+g^{3}-n}[/tex] can't always equate to an integer. But that is random and useless. I'm noy even sure whether the original statement is true or not.

What should i be looking for in trying to prove these things? Or is it mainly that i am not familiar enough with properties of numbers yet? In any case, suggestions/hints/advice or even solutions will all help me in starting out.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what exactly is the problem? "Such that" is usually a condition, not a conclusion. Are you trying to prove "If n is an integer, then there exist integers a,b, c..., h that n= a3+ b3+ ... h3" And a, b, ... can be any number of integers, not specifically 8? That probably is NOT the case since then it would be trivial- any number can be written as a sum of "1"s.

Yes, Halls, its as you have assumed (or maybe this isn't what you assumed). "For all integers n, there exists 8 integers cubed which sum to n" (That includes 0's). So, it is to prove that statement true, or to prove its negation ("there exists an integer n, for which 8 integers cubed do not sum to n").

Noo said:
Yes, Halls, its as you have assumed (or maybe this isn't what you assumed). "For all integers n, there exists 8 integers cubed which sum to n" (That includes 0's). So, it is to prove that statement true, or to prove its negation ("there exists an integer n, for which 8 integers cubed do not sum to n").

Proving something like that would be extremely difficult. You'd better pin your hopes on finding a fairly easy counterexample. There is one. Start expressing small numbers as the sum of cubes and you should find it pretty quickly.

I could have missed something, but I don't think it's so easy. All integers between -100 and 100 can be represented as the sum of cubes of at most 8 integers, for example.

Tedjn said:
I could have missed something, but I don't think it's so easy. All integers between -100 and 100 can be represented as the sum of cubes of at most 8 integers, for example.

I'll take your word for it, but I think the problem is supposed to be the sum of cubes of nonnegative integers. At least that's the way I took it. Is it Noo? In which case there is an exception.

Yes, you're right. If the problem is about nonnegative integers, then there is a small exception :smile:

Dick said:
Proving something like that would be extremely difficult. You'd better pin your hopes on finding a fairly easy counterexample. There is one. Start expressing small numbers as the sum of cubes and you should find it pretty quickly.

I took your advise and have checked all |n| up to 150 so far, i have no counter-example yet. Just to clarify, as i am sure you realize, the sum can include subtractions; so for example the interval [157, 167] is covered by "[tex]5^{3} + 4^{3} + (-3)^{3} ^{+}_{-} m [/tex], where, since there are 5 remaining components of the sum, each of which can be at 0 or 1, [tex](m=0,1..,5) [/tex] That is: 125+64-27 = 162, so [(162-5), (162+5)].

Edit: Oh, sorry. I took so long writing this, working LaTex out, that 3 posts arrived before mine. It is for all integers, negative included. And yes, using the interval method i hinted at above i am effectively checking off intervals of the number line. But after i hit 200 I'm giving up hope of finding a counter example:D

P.S. All |n|<205 confirmed.

Last edited:
Noo said:
I took your advise and have checked all |n| up to 150 so far, i have no counter-example yet. Just to clarify, as i am sure you realize, the sum can include subtractions; so for example the interval [157, 167] is covered by "[tex]5^{3} + 4^{3} + (-3)^{3} ^{+}_{-} m [/tex], where, since there are 5 remaining components of the sum, each of which can be at 0 or 1, [tex](m=0,1..,5) [/tex] That is: 125+64-27 = 162, so [(162-5), (162+5)].

Edit: Oh, sorry. I took so long writing this, working LaTex out, that 3 posts arrived before mine. It is for all integers, negative included. And yes, using the interval method i hinted at above i am effectively checking off intervals of the number line. But after i hit 200 I'm giving up hope of finding a counter example:D

You can give up the search then. If the cubes are allowed to be signed then it is true. In fact you only need 5. I know this because I looked it up, not because I know the proof. I'm pretty sure it's beyond the range of high school algebra. But maybe there is a trick for 8 cubes that makes it accessible. If you are SURE that's the intention, then it's back to the drawing board.

Alright, and thanks.

It seems very interesting to me that you only ever need 5. Although in googling just now i learned that all cubes can be expressed as a sum of consecutive odd integers, which i also found very interesting, so perhaps i am easily interested.

Noo said:
Alright, and thanks.

It seems very interesting to me that you only ever need 5. Although in googling just now i learned that all cubes can be expressed as a sum of consecutive odd integers, which i also found very interesting, so perhaps i am easily interested.

Since you are so easily interested here's a the '5' proof. I found this in a pdf titled 'Waring's problem, taxicab numbers and other sums of powers'. Google around for it. Start with the identity,

6x=(x+1)^3+(x-1)^3-2*x^3

That proves it for all numbers divisible by six. Now just create some variations on that formula, e.g.

6x+1=(x+1)^3+(x-1)^3-2*x^3+1
6x-1=(x+1)^3+(x-1)^3-2*x^3-1
6x+2=x^3+(x+2)^3-2(x+1)^3-2^3
6x-2=x^3+(x-2)^3-2(x-1)^3+2^3
6x+3=(x-3)^3+(x-5)^3-2(x-4)^3+3^3

There may be some typos in there. Try to find the paper, it might have other interesting stuff in it. I can't find a author on the paper.

1. Can anyone learn high school math theory?

Yes, anyone can learn high school math theory as long as they are willing to put in the time and effort to study and practice.

2. How long does it take to prove a high school math theory?

The time it takes to prove a high school math theory varies depending on the complexity of the theory and the individual's understanding and ability. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several weeks.

3. Do I need a strong mathematical background to prove high school math theory?

Having a strong mathematical background can be helpful, but it is not a requirement. With dedication and determination, anyone can learn and understand high school math theory.

4. What are the benefits of proving high school math theory?

Proving high school math theory can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also deepen one's understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, which can be useful in future academic or professional pursuits.

5. Can I apply the skills learned from proving high school math theory in real-life situations?

Yes, the skills learned from proving high school math theory, such as critical thinking and problem-solving, can be applied in various real-life situations, including in other academic subjects, careers, and daily life challenges.