Simple single-slit sound diffraction

In summary, a speaker emitting a sound with a frequency of 2620 Hz is located inside a speaker cabinet with an opening 30.9 cm wide. The task is to find the location along a wall 97.7 m away where a listener will hear the first diffraction minimum, using the equation y = (mrL)/d. However, the calculated distance of 41.4 m is deemed incorrect. There may be a need to consider the condition for destructive interference in terms of path difference, or whether the problem involves a single or double source.
Ownaginatious

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble solving this problem and I'm unsure why,

"A stereo speaker is located inside a speaker cabinet with an opening 30.9 cm wide. The speaker emits a sound with a frequency of 2620 Hz. Assuming that the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s, find the location along a wall 97.7 m away where a listener will hear the first diffraction minimum. Give this location as a distance from the central axis. "

Homework Equations

I believe the relevant equation for this is the equation for the diffraction of waves through a single slit:

wavelength = r
Distance to wall = L
Distance between slits: d
diffraction minimum/maximum: m

With the equation, y = (mrL)/d

The Attempt at a Solution

r = (speed of sound)/(frequency)
r = (343 m/s)/(2620 Hz)
r = 0.131 m

Now since this is the first diffraction minimum, m = 1.

y = (mrL)/d
y = (0.131 m * 97.7 m) / (0.309 m)
y = 41.4 m

This answer is apparently wrong. Can anyone please show me where I went wrong?

Thanks!

- Dillon

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the condition for destructive interference in terms of path difference?

rl.bhat said:
What is the condition for destructive interference in terms of path difference?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow. Are you giving me a hint, or asking me something in regards to the problem?

If the former, doesn't one sound wave have to be out of phase with the other by pi?

Sorry. I am thinking about the stereo speaker. Whether it is a single source problem or the double source?

Well, I'm guessing it's a single speaker because it doesn't really specify a second one in the question.

1. What is simple single-slit sound diffraction?

Simple single-slit sound diffraction is a phenomenon in which sound waves spread out and bend around a barrier, such as a single slit. This results in the sound being heard in areas that would normally be in its shadow.

2. How does single-slit sound diffraction occur?

Single-slit sound diffraction occurs because of the wave nature of sound. When sound waves encounter a narrow opening, they spread out and interfere with each other, creating areas of constructive and destructive interference.

3. What factors affect the amount of sound diffraction in a single-slit setup?

The amount of sound diffraction in a single-slit setup is affected by several factors, including the size of the slit, the wavelength of the sound waves, and the distance between the source of the sound and the slit.

4. How is single-slit sound diffraction different from double-slit diffraction?

Single-slit sound diffraction differs from double-slit diffraction in that it only involves one narrow opening, while double-slit diffraction involves two narrow openings. Additionally, single-slit diffraction creates a single diffraction pattern, while double-slit diffraction creates multiple patterns due to the interference of waves from each slit.

5. What are some real-life applications of single-slit sound diffraction?

Single-slit sound diffraction has several real-life applications, including in concert halls and theaters where it is used to improve the acoustics and distribute sound evenly throughout the space. It is also used in noise-cancelling headphones and microphones to reduce unwanted sound waves.