Is There an Easier Way to Set Up Physics Equations Online for Mac Users?

In summary: So in summary, users suggested using the character palette or keyboard viewer to easily find and insert symbols for physics equations online, or using a program like MathType to convert equations to LaTeX.
MikeBeer
This may be the wrong place to put this thread, but it appeared to be the best option. Does anyone know of an easier way to set up physics equations online other then finding the keystroke or inserting a symbol? It's a pain to hold ALT on my mac and hit every key trying to find an integral symbol or a delta. Did everyone else just memorize where they are or is there an easier way? Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could either use the character pallete, and select the symbol from there, or open the keyboard viewer so that when you hit alt it shows which keys are for which symbol.

LaTeX equation editor: http://www.codecogs.com/components/equationeditor/equationeditor.php [Broken]

Of course, LaTex is annoying and hard. I bought MathType, which is easy to create equations and stuff, and it can convert to LaTeX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac Keyboard

MikeBeer said:
It's a pain to hold ALT on my mac and hit every key trying to find an integral symbol or a delta.

Hi MikeBeer! :smile:

You can copy-and-paste from my and Redbelly's lists (see below).

Alternatively, if you have OSX, click on the flag in the menu bar (next to the clock) for the Keyboard Viewer, or with OS9, click the apple and select "Keyboard". :wink:

1. What are scientific symbols?

Scientific symbols are visual representations used by scientists to represent concepts, elements, and processes in their field of study. They are often used in formulas, diagrams, and illustrations to convey complex ideas in a concise and standardized way.

2. Why are scientific symbols important?

Scientific symbols are important because they provide a universal language that allows scientists from different countries and backgrounds to communicate and understand each other's work. They also help to simplify and condense complex concepts, making them easier to understand and remember.

3. Where can I find scientific symbols online?

There are several websites that offer a comprehensive collection of scientific symbols, such as the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) website and the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) website. Many scientific journals and textbooks also provide a key or legend for the symbols used in their publications.

4. How do scientists create new symbols?

New scientific symbols are typically created by the governing bodies of each scientific field, such as IUPAC for chemistry symbols. These organizations use a rigorous process to ensure that the symbol is unique, logical, and easily understood by the scientific community.

5. Can I use scientific symbols in my own work or publications?

Yes, you can use scientific symbols in your work or publications as long as you properly cite their source and adhere to any guidelines or conventions set by the governing body of the specific field. It is also important to ensure that the symbol you are using accurately represents the concept you are trying to convey.