Better book on Statistical Mechanics

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student studying solid state physics. They are currently taking a course on equilibrium statistical physics and using the book "Equilibrium Statistical Physics" by Plischke and Bergersen. However, the speaker is not satisfied with the book's explanations and is looking for recommendations for a better book on the same subject. They also mention a link to Caltech lectures on statistical analysis.
Erythro73
Hi! I'm a graduate student in solid state physics and I have to follow a graduate course on equilibrium statistical physics, and we're using Plischke and Bergersen's book on "Equilibirum Statistical Physics". Presently, we're seeing Mean Field Theories and Ising model, but somehow, I'm not satisfied with the books, who skips a lot of steps behind each equations. The explanations given doesn't satisfy me either.

I wonder if you would have recommandations for a better book who covers the same range of subjects, solid state-oriented advanced statistical physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Below is a link to the Caltech lectures of Kip Thorne's ph 136 Classical Physics course.

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2008/

There is a whole section devoted to stastical analysis.

Thanks
Matt

Hello! As a scientist in the field of statistical mechanics, I understand your frustration with the book you are currently using. I would recommend looking into "Introduction to Statistical Mechanics" by David Chandler. This book offers a more comprehensive and detailed approach to the subject, with a focus on solid state systems. Another great resource is "Statistical Mechanics of Solids" by Louis A. Girifalco, which delves into the fundamental principles of statistical mechanics and their application to solid state physics. Both of these books provide thorough explanations and step-by-step derivations, which may be more helpful for your understanding. I hope this helps and best of luck with your studies!

1. What is Statistical Mechanics?

Statistical Mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of systems made up of a large number of particles, using statistical methods to describe their overall behavior.

2. Why is Statistical Mechanics important?

Statistical Mechanics provides a framework for understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It also allows us to make predictions about the macroscopic properties of these systems based on the microscopic behavior of their constituent particles.

3. What topics are typically covered in a book on Statistical Mechanics?

A book on Statistical Mechanics typically covers topics such as thermodynamics, kinetic theory, phase transitions, and equilibrium statistical mechanics. It may also cover more advanced topics such as non-equilibrium statistical mechanics and quantum statistical mechanics.

4. Is prior knowledge of physics and mathematics necessary to understand a book on Statistical Mechanics?

Yes, a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is necessary to understand a book on Statistical Mechanics. Knowledge of calculus, differential equations, and basic mechanics is essential, and familiarity with concepts such as thermodynamics and probability theory is helpful.

5. What are some recommended books on Statistical Mechanics?

Some recommended books on Statistical Mechanics include "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria and Paul D. Beale, "Introduction to Modern Statistical Mechanics" by David Chandler, and "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Walter Greiner.