Searching for Article: Tips on Finding What You Need

• Thread starter zicron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary, the conversation discussed frustration with search engine results only showing the reference line of an article instead of the article itself. The suggestion was made to search for the article on the journal's website or to check with the library for access. The individual was able to find the article through the library, which had compiled it under a slightly different title.
zicron
I was trying to search an article on the internet
the 'reference line' is
"Atwater, M. A., and J. T. Ball, 1978: A numerical solar radiation model based on standard meteorological observations. Review paper. Solar Energy, 21, 163-170"
However the most frustrating fact are the results return by the search engine are the 'reference line' and not the article itself.
Could anyone give some suggestion on what should I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=PublicationURL&_tockey=%23TOC%235772%231978%23999789996%23445238%23FLP%23&_cdi=5772&_pubType=J&_auth=y&_acct=C000010758&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=7381840&md5=c8e801c9da395a63ceafe5501005c93f" - As taken from the reference. A lot journal's will have their previous volumes online. Best place to start if google doesn't kick something up straight away is at the journal's web page (i.e. google Solar Energy vol XX). Next step is to find out if you or you're institution has access to the article.

Do you know if you're institution has access to this journal? (i.e. log in via Athens or something)

If not it may be worth asking the library if they a) Have the journal in their archives or b) can order it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the suggestion.I found the article I wanted , the library compiled it in a volume with a slightly different tittle.

1. How do I search for an article?

To search for an article, start by brainstorming keywords related to your topic. Then, use a search engine or a database to enter these keywords and refine your search using filters, such as date, publication type, or language. You can also try using different combinations of keywords and synonyms to find relevant articles.

2. What are some tips for finding credible sources?

To find credible sources, look for articles published in peer-reviewed journals or written by experts in the field. Avoid sources that are biased or lack citations. You can also check the author's credentials and the publication date to ensure the information is up-to-date.

3. How can I access articles that are behind a paywall?

If you come across an article that is behind a paywall, try searching for it on the website of a university or library that has a subscription to the journal. You can also contact the author directly and ask for a copy of the article. Additionally, some paywalls offer limited free access or allow you to access a certain number of articles for free.

4. Is it better to use a general search engine or a specialized database for finding articles?

It depends on your topic and research needs. General search engines like Google can provide a broad range of results, but they may not always be relevant or credible. Specialized databases, on the other hand, focus on specific subject areas and can provide more targeted and reliable results. Consider using a combination of both for a comprehensive search.

5. What should I do if I can't find the article I need?

If you are having trouble finding the article you need, try adjusting your search terms or using different databases. You can also consult with a librarian for assistance or reach out to the author for a copy. If the article is not available, consider finding alternative sources or expanding your research to related topics.