Need advise on a good physics book.

In summary, the individual is looking for a good college level physics textbook and is currently struggling with the concepts and problems in their calculus based physics class. They have found the material in their current textbook, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday/Resnick/Walker, to be insufficient and are seeking recommendations. They have been advised to try University Physics by Young and Freedman, and a helpful resource for practice questions is also suggested.
hpfan
Hey
I was wondering is someone could suggest a good college level physics textbook. I am currently in a calculus based physics class and I'm finding it hard to keep up with the concepts and also do the problems. i have fundamentals of physics by halliday/resnick/walker 8th ed and it seems to me that the material isn't explained well enough and questions are too hard. so please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday Resnick Krane is supposed to be better.
However, you could try using University Physics by Young and Freedman.

If you're having problems with the questions, you should try this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070481660/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I haven't used it myself but I've heard good things about it.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for advice on a good physics book. I understand the importance of having a reliable and comprehensive textbook to support your learning. Based on your current situation, I would recommend looking into "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. This textbook is widely used in college-level physics courses and is known for its clear explanations and thorough problem-solving examples. It also has a variety of practice problems at varying levels of difficulty, which can be helpful for reinforcing your understanding of the concepts.

Another option could be "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. This textbook is also commonly used in college physics courses and has a good balance of theory and application. It also includes helpful features such as concept summaries, worked examples, and end-of-chapter problems.

Ultimately, the best physics textbook for you will depend on your personal learning style and the specific topics covered in your course. I suggest browsing through a few options at your college bookstore or online to see which one resonates with you the most. Additionally, don't hesitate to consult with your instructor for their recommendations and any additional resources they may have.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your studies. Keep persevering and don't hesitate to reach out for help when needed. Physics can be a challenging subject, but with the right resources and determination, you can succeed. Good luck!

1. What are some good introductory physics books for beginners?

Some highly recommended introductory physics books for beginners include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker, and "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman.

2. Are there any physics books that are easy to understand and don't require a lot of mathematical background?

Yes, there are many physics books that are written in a more accessible and less technical manner, such as "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman.

3. Can you recommend a physics book for someone who wants to go more in-depth in a specific topic?

Absolutely, there are many specialized physics books for different topics, such as "Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, and "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking.

4. What are some physics books that are entertaining and engaging to read?

Some entertaining and engaging physics books include "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman, "The Disappearing Spoon" by Sam Kean, and "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios.

5. Are there any physics books that are suitable for younger readers?

Yes, there are many physics books that are written specifically for younger readers, such as "George's Secret Key to the Universe" by Stephen and Lucy Hawking, "The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip" by Joanna Cole, and "The Way Things Work" by David Macaulay.