How do insect stings/bites harm you?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insect
In summary, bee stings and mosquito bites can cause inflammation due to the injection of various substances that trigger an immune response in the body. These substances can include enzymes, anticoagulants, and neurotransmitters, among others, and may have different effects such as pain, paralysis, or blood clotting. Honey bee venom contains at least 18 active substances, including melittin, adolapin, and apamin, which all contribute to the inflammatory response. Other compounds, such as Compound X, Hyaluronidase, and Histamine, also play a role in the effects of bee stings. Ultimately, the reaction to any bite or sting will vary depending on the specific substances injected into the skin.
wasteofo2
Why is it that when you get stung by a bee or bitten by a mosquito that the area around it becomes inflamed? I remember hearing something on the discovery channel that snake venom was just harmful enzymes which digested your flesh, is that how all venom works?

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe there are several kinds of venom, but I'm no expert and can't seem to find a good page on it.

Venoms can do one of several things:

1) Actually digest skeletal muscle with enzymes (necrosis).
2) Attack nerves or neurons and cause paralysis.
3) Simply cause pain
4) Cause blood clots
5) Attack the kidneys

I'm such someone else with more knowledge can jump in with more.

- Warren

Bee stings and mosquito bites must have very different chemistry. A bee sting is supposed to hurt and injury. A musquito bite is supposed to nurture the musquito, but remain unnoticed.

I don't know the details either, but when a mosquito penetrates the skin it injects its saliva that contains digestive enzymes and anticoagulants and probably also analgstetics. The body reacts to these foreign proteins by setting up an immune response, which causes the wheal.

That's a good point Monique -- many people have very serious allergic reactions even to relatively friendly venoms like that of bees, which is only intended to cause pain.

- Warren

Honey bee venom contains at least 18 active substances. Melittin, the most prevalent substance, is one of the most potent anti-inflammatory agents known (100 times more potent than hydrocortisol). Adolapin is another strong anti-inflammatory substance, and inhibits cyclooxygenase; it thus has analgesic activity as well. Apamin inhibits complement C3 activity, and blocks calcium-dependent potassium channels, thus enhancing nerve transmission. Other substances, such as Compound X, Hyaluronidase, Phospholipase A2, Histamine, and Mast Cell Degranulating Protein (MSDP), are involved in the inflammatory response of venom, with the softening of tissue and the facilitation of flow of the other substances. Finally, there are measurable amounts of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Norepinephrine and Seratonin.

That is a list of what is in the sting. Still looking for the name of the venom to help me realize why it gives certain side affects.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Wow, that's quite a concoction for one little bee! Interesting that there are compounds that seem to have opposing actions all in the same mix.

What any bite or sting will have in common is a general inflammatory response to the skin being broken or a foreign object or proteins being inserted into the skin. The rest would of course depend on what else wound up being injected into the skin by the critter doing the stinging/biting.

1. What do insect stings/bites do to your body?

When an insect stings or bites you, it injects venom or saliva into your skin. This can cause a reaction in your body, leading to symptoms such as swelling, itching, and pain.

2. How does the venom/saliva from insect stings/bites harm you?

The venom or saliva from insect stings/bites can cause a variety of harmful effects, depending on the type of insect. Some insects have venom that can damage your skin, nerves, or internal organs. Others may have saliva that contains enzymes that break down your skin cells.

3. Can insect stings/bites transmit diseases?

Yes, some insect stings/bites can transmit diseases. Mosquitoes, for example, can transmit diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, and Zika virus. It's important to seek medical attention if you experience symptoms of a mosquito-borne illness.

4. How do allergic reactions to insect stings/bites occur?

Allergic reactions to insect stings/bites occur when your body's immune system overreacts to the venom or saliva. This can cause symptoms such as hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, tongue, or throat. In severe cases, it can lead to anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction.

5. What should I do if I am stung/bitten by an insect?

If you are stung or bitten by an insect, it's important to remain calm and remove the stinger if it's still in your skin. Wash the affected area with soap and water and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. If you experience severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face, seek immediate medical attention.