Jobs in Engineering Analysis hard to find.

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineer who is currently working in design at a semiconductor/data-storage process equipment company. However, they have discovered that they are better at analysis than design. They have been searching for jobs and have noticed that there are not many positions solely focused on analytical work. They suggest looking into failure analysis, six sigma/business process jobs, and positions involving CFD or FEA. However, they also mention that most companies prefer engineers who can do a variety of tasks, rather than just analytical work. The speaker's current team at their company is an exception, as they solely focus on CFD and alternative modeling methods for data center cooling solutions. They acknowledge that this may be a niche and not representative of the CFD
jasc15
I am a mechanical engineer currently working in design at a semiconductor/data-storage process equipment company. I've come to learn that I am better at analysis than i am at design. I like using and gathering data and developing specifications, whereas mechanical design requires a kind of artistic creativity that I am not very consistent with.

Now I've been looking at jobs for quite some time now, and notice that about half of what i come across are for project engineer/manager (snore), or mechanical designer (not mechanical engineer). Where are the analytical jobs? Are analytical engineers such a small elite group, that they are hand picked rather than interviewed? Is it not the sort of position for which to have a full time dedicated engineer? Is this an extreme example of the "it's who you know" principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's more likely that there are few jobs that do analytical work and nothing else. It's also likely that even for those positions, the company would prefer to hire someone who does analytical work and nothing else. Tasks change.

You are probably more likely to find a position for an engineer that has a large analytical component than one that is exclusively such and advertised as exclusively such.

As a mechanical engineering major I almost ended up in the failure analysis group at a jet engine manufacturer. You may want to look at things like that. You may want to look outside of engineering departments as well at six sigma / business process types jobs. It may take some operations experience before you can get into that though. Six sigma is all about statistical analysis, improvement, and control of processes.

If you can get into doing CFD or FEA I am sure you could find an analytical position. Some places have people who mostly just run simulations and the like as well as do data mining/exploiting.

But while FEA is a huge industry, and there are many people who do only FEA, have you ever heard of an opening to do only FEA? All the ads I've seen (and written) want someone who they could move to doing something else if they had to.

I work for a company that sells data center cooling solutions. The ME team here is small, but all we do is CFD. We also try to come up with alternative ways to model the physics of a data center that are more time-efficient than CFD. So basically all that we do is analysis, in some form or another.

Maybe it's a niche and my team is less representative of the CFD field as a whole.

What is engineering analysis?

Engineering analysis is the process of using scientific and mathematical principles to analyze and solve problems related to engineering projects. It involves the use of computer-aided design (CAD) software, simulations, and other tools to evaluate design options and make informed decisions.

What types of jobs are available in engineering analysis?

There are various job opportunities in engineering analysis, including roles such as design engineers, structural analysts, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) engineers, and finite element analysis (FEA) engineers. These roles can be found in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and more.

Why is it difficult to find jobs in engineering analysis?

The field of engineering analysis is highly specialized and requires specific skills and knowledge. This means that there are not as many job opportunities compared to other engineering disciplines. Additionally, the demand for these roles may fluctuate depending on the industry and economic conditions.

What qualifications are needed for jobs in engineering analysis?

Most jobs in engineering analysis require a degree in engineering, preferably in a related field such as mechanical, aerospace, or civil engineering. Additional certifications or training in areas such as CAD software, FEA, or CFD may also be beneficial in securing a job in this field.

What can I do to increase my chances of finding a job in engineering analysis?

To increase your chances of finding a job in engineering analysis, it is important to continuously update your skills and knowledge in this field. This can include taking courses or obtaining certifications in relevant software or techniques. Networking and gaining experience through internships or projects can also help in securing a job in this competitive field.